Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Full of the Joy of the Lord

by Sumner Wemp

 

"These things write we (I) unto you that your joy might be full." John 1:4. A little dab of joy won't do you. A bucket of the wrong fun may slay you. Sumner, why have you written so much? That your joy might be full. The fullness of joy will transform you.

 
 
I sincerely believe God wants YOU, YES ,YOU to be "full of the joy of the Lord," not the fun of the flesh. God said, "The joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10. Then God tops it off by saying, "let us lay aside every weight and the sin which does so easily beset us and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross." WOW, this is one of the most powerful statements of the Bible. Jesus "endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him" Hebrews 12:2. You dear Christian can endure anything too by "setting your affections on things above" that lasts for eternity. Now doesn't that make sense? God doesn't want us to run around with a mournful morbid look on our face. There should be a sweet solemn look as we take of the Lord's supper and meditate on the Son of the Living God suffering and dying for our sins. Doesn't that make good sense?
 
 
That's one reason we ought to be in the house of God every time the doors are opened. That is one reason the Word of God ought to be opened every day to listen to God. That's one reason we ought to have a little talk with Jesus and tell Him all about our troubles, rather than tell our troubles to those we work with or our neighbors. Dear people, I am so thrilled and honored to have you getting and reading what I pray about, write and delight in having you read what I write. You and I ought to listen to God and do what He says for just a few more years.
 
 
Please soak this in. "Why call ye me Lord, Lord and do not the things which I say". I LOVE YOU. I want you to have pleasures in abundance down here and treasures for eternity up there. I am dead serious about that. 
 
 
 When I was a pastor a couple moved into our neighborhood. As always I want to be the first one to welcome them and get the gospel to them. They welcomed me into their home and so glad I visited them. I planted the gospel with them. They told me they had two other brothers who were going to move in close by in a couple of weeks. I had our people trained to call me when they saw someone move in and they did. In the next few weeks all three moved in and I planted the gospel with them. Then I had the joy of leading all three couples to Christ. They told me their mother lived not far away and she too was not saved and they were going to get her over and wanted me to come and lead her to Christ. She was in her nineties. A week later they called me and said our mother is here. I went over right away. She was quit feeble. Gently I gave her the gospel. It was amazing how she understood all I told her. Finally I felt sure she understood how to be saved. She prayed with me to accept Christ. She looked up and with her feeble voice, oh so gently began to sing, and clapped her hands "Just as I am, without one plea I have come, I have come." About then Heaven came down and all eight of us burst into tears of rejoicing. That is the greatest joy in all the world and I live for it.

 

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'