Monday, August 25, 2008

Q & A


A dear lady wrote me not too long ago: I see photos like this of Jesus and wonder, Why do they usually depict Jesus with a clean-cut beard (of course, I know he can do anything). Were there tools in those days & times for men to cut or shave their beards & moustache?
Others have asked: Did Jesus have long hair?


First it's always good to remind ourselves that the portraits of Jesus were done by individuals that never saw the Lord and drew, painted, or whatever from their own imagination.
Secondly it's good to note that Jesus did not have long hair. Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit wrote in 1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? Surely he would not have said this had Jesus had long hair.
Thirdly we do know Jesus had a beard because it was prophesied that concerning his pre-crucifixion experience [Isaiah 50:6] I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
Finally, to answer your actual question. Yes, they were implements to cut and shave hair long before Jesus walked the earth as a man. You may recall that some 1500 years before Jesus a woman named Delilah gave Samson a haircut, and about 400 years before that Joseph shaved before going before Pharaoh (Gn. 41). There are many other examples but these 2 are pretty well known so I'll let it go at that.
Thanks for your patience and I hope this helps. In Jesus' Name, Brother Rick

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'