Wednesday, March 05, 2008

WHAT WE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT CRITICISM

MATTHEW 12:1-2

Pastor Rick Jackson

We might as well face it. We are going to be criticized. Sometimes the criticism may be just but other times it may be totally unjust. Even if we were perfect we would still be criticized. Jesus was perfect and they criticized Him. Let us see some of the ways He handled the critics and thus learn how we might handle unjust criticism. (Jesus never faced just criticism though the Scriptures tell us how we might in various places).

The Pharisees were wrong. The disciples had not broken the sabbath. They broke some of the man-made traditions concerning the sabbath but not really the sabbath itself.

I. KNOW THE SCRIPTURES [v. 3-5, Mt. 4, Lk. 4, II Tm. 2:15, 3:16-17]

II. KNOW WHO YOU ARE [v. 6-8]

Obviously none of us are "the Lord of the Sabbath" but who are we? If we are saved, we are children of God, sinners saved by grace, a peculiar people, a royal priesthood, an ambassador of Christ. It helps to know who you are and how you got to be who you are now.

III. KNOW YOUR "ENEMY" [v. 9-13]

IV. KNOW THE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES [v. 14-15]

V. KNOW YOUR MISSION [v. 15-21]

Are you fishing or chasing snakes. There is a time for defense and there is a time for outreach. Sometimes they can be the same thing!

Acts 22:1 Men, brethren, and fathers, hear ye my defence which I make now unto you.
Acts 25:16 To whom I answered, It is not the manner of the Romans to deliver any man to die, before that he which is accused have the accusers face to face, and have licence to answer for himself concerning the crime laid against him.
1 Corinthians 9:3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,
Philippians 1:7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.
Philippians 1:17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
2 Timothy 4:16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.
1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

VI. KNOW WHERE YOUR POWER ORIGINATES [v. 22-30]

VII. KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES OF SPEAKING [v. 31-37]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'