Thursday, March 06, 2008

THE BEST LAID PLANS...

I had big plans for today. While my wife was at physical therapy I would do some reorganizing at the Fellowship Hall two doors down. The afternoon and evening were crammed full of personal and church activities. I was looking forward to getting a lot accomplished (Thursdays are usually a good day for that for some reason). But alas it was not to be.

While at the Fellowship Hall I turned wrong or something and my right knee popped out of joint! Sound painful? It is as it sounds my friends. I have had this happen three other times down through the years and each experience was a little different. The first time I was in my teens, was taken to the doctor, had to have my knee drained of excess fluid, wear a brace, etc. Pretty heady stuff for a kid. It did get me out of shingle deliveries at Jackson Building Supply where I worked at the time. Probably not good to be on a roof with a sixty pound bundle of shingles and have you knee blow out!

The second time was late teens and as I knew what it felt like I purposefully fell to the ground before it popped all the way out. As I lay there decided what I was going to do I was lovingly attacked by my sister's dog, part Chiuaua, part sneaky little neighbor's dog. No doctor, no excess fluid. Just a slight scare.

The third time I was in my early thirties and was in out kitchen in Chattanooga, Tn. Again I deliberately went down to get the weight off the knee. My wife helped to our couch but this time I went into shock (shiver my timbers!). Weird, I knew what was going on but I guess going into shock isn't due to ignorance.

This time I though it better not to go down as I was alone and the concrete floor didn't look that inviting. I have a hard enough time getting off the floor when I'm not having knee problems! I leaned against the wall and took all my weight off that leg. Nothing happened so I rotated the leg and it popped back into place. The area I was cleaning out had a walker there so I was able to go to my truck and go get my wife. Praise the Lord for His goodness. The other area I had been cleaning had no walker.

This was the first time my right knew had ever popped out (all the other times it was my left---obviously--duh!). No shock but I did have a low grade fever the rest of the day and I spent the afternoon in my easy chair NOT doing what I had planned. Makes for a good story though doesn't it.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

Groucho Marx was once asked in a movie, "Are you a man or a mouse?" He replied, "You put a piece of cheese on the floor and you'll find out!"

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'