Friday, February 22, 2008

Mister PHD* and his Hobby Horse

*I know the correct version is PhD but apparently Mister PHD didn't. He signed his attack "His Full Name, PHD, author of Book I Don't Want To Advertise" [italics indicate words changed to keep from giving this guy publicity]

Mister PHD tried to leave a comment on my blog yesterday that related back to Wednesday's blog. Apparently I struck a nerve. He isn't a regular reader of my blog but rather someone who evidently searches the internet for any mention of his favorite topic and then... HE POUNCES! Maybe I should have nicknamed him Pounce De Leon but then again maybe not. Fortunately for all of my regular readers (both of you- heh, heh, *sniff*) I don't allow comments without seeing and approving them first. Why? Because this is MY blog and I feel responsible for what goes up (I have had some real wackos trying to get attention for themselves and their heretical views - not that Mister PHD is a heretic, but I have screened some that were).

I also don't feel a need to give every bozo or egomaniac a platform for his views especially if it's an obvious hobby horse. Let them get their own blog! Or website or whatever and don't expect me to advertise it for them. Not that I mind advertising worthwhile projects (hence the links given and various endorsements from time to time). By the way PHDboy does have his own website and guess what it's devoted to? Hobby horse rides again!

His opening volley started out like this:

Sir

(1) You have violated the most important very first rule of biblical interpretation which is taught in seminary. You have ignored the context!

I didn't violate anything or ignore the context. In the church service where I preached the message more was given than just the outline contained in the blog. But even the blog was clear to anyone not blinded by the dust from his hobby horse's hooves. What Mister PHD did was violate:

the second great commandment

Mt. 22:36-40 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

the Golden Rule

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

the rule of charity

1 Corinthians 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

the way of restoration

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Read his opening from above again. Can't you feel the love? Can you sense the spirit of meekness of trying to help a brother (he thinks is) in error? No? Me neither.

The “you” of Mt 23:23 is “you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites.” Jesus was speaking, not to the church, but to the interpreters of the law whom the people had allowed to be over them.

Well DUH! I am perfectly aware of who Jesus was speaking to and did not try to hide that fact. Hence I quoted the whole verse on the blog instead of just giving the reference as I sometimes do. I was making application of the principles Jesus was telling the Pharisees and scribes they had missed.

Well from there he goes on to tear apart (in his own mind) one point of the four that were given in my message. He continues the rudeness, misrepresentations and bias throughout and I see no reason to go point by point with such a narrow minded opinionated individual that cannot conceive that good men might disagree on minor matters (and it was on the minor matter that he is fixated on). Some of his arguments against that one point would have to be applied to the other three weightier matters but since those aren't his hobby horse he doesn't go there. He's written a book to prove his point and I must say, even without having read it, of all the books that have ever been written it certainly is one of them.

Ecclesiastes 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Hmmm. Maybe I should write a book and then go on the web and blindside anyone who doesn't hold my perfect view and... and... and... then again --- maybe not.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'