Tuesday, February 12, 2008

IT'S NICE TO BE RIGHT

Most women understand that we men like to be right. We're not always right (especially when it comes to women) but we do enjoy being right. Maybe that's why we love sports so much. When two teams are playing we have a 50% chance of being right about the outcome! But there are things more important than sports! There, I said it! The skeleton is out of the closet. But wait, before I go very far on this fascinating subject I must add... that's not the subject of this blog.

Dr. Lee Roberson used to say, "Critics are a dime a dozen. Any fool can criticize." Some time back I had a man nit-picking everything he could about me so he could justify leaving the church. One of the things he criticized was my propensity to send birthday and anniversary cards out late. He made the statement, "If I couldn't send them out on time, I wouldn't send them at all." (Which by the way is what he does- he doesn't send them out at all.) I said, "No, I disagree. The fact that I am willing to send out cards late (I do get some out on time and I am working on this flaw) shows the person I care enough to put myself on the line and that even though I didn't get it out in time- I did get it out." Of course, he disagreed. He did eventually leave the church as was his perogative.

What's my point? I caught up on my cards and letters recently and yes, some of them were late. One late card was to a missionary our church supports. As is my custom, I apologized for the lateness of the card and assured him of our prayers and support. Today, I got the nicest thank you note from said missionary. He wrote:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write personal notes to us. We are astounded that you'd take such a vital and precious and limited resource and spend it on us. We surely don't feel worthy, yet we are very grateful.

For most of the past year I've been buried by the work and correspondence has suffered. Please don't think we are at all unthankful.

When I read that I recalled the conversation with Mr. Picky that I referenced before. Wow, if I was a lesser man I'd call him up and say "Nyah, nyah, nyah." As it is I think I'll just say, sometimes it's nice to be right.

Please realize much of this blog was written tongue-in-cheek though the facts are true. The names were changed to protect the picky.

Remember, it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!

Nyah!

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'