Sunday, April 08, 2007

THE BEST GUARANTEE

I love guarantees. There is something about knowing a company or individual will stand behind a statement or product that really energizes my desire to take them at their word, providing, of course, it is something I need or want.

On a related subject... It has been reported that at one point there was a sign in Moscow next to Lenin's Tomb that read, "He was the greatest leader of all peoples of all countries of all times. He was the lord of a new humanity. He was the savior of the world." Of course, it was all written in past tense. "He was" is not the same as "He is".

Some years ago a preacher was visiting the tomb of Lenin in Russia. As the guards were changed the preacher asked the guide, "What are they guarding?"She replied in a whispering tone, "The tomb of our hero." He said, "No-one is guarding the tomb of our hero." "Why not?", she inquired. The answer came back swiftly, 'HE'S NOT THERE!"

You may be thinking, well that's nice but what has that to do with "The Best Guarantee"? Quite frankly, everything! The Resurrection of Jesus Christ is THE BEST GUARANTEE! And you know what, God put it in writing! In black and white! And it's universally good and the guarantee never runs out! I bought the silver mini-van I used to have because it had a 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty (and it was good for that) but God gives an eternal warranty with unlimited mileage.

You may say, but what does the Resurrection of Jesus Christ guarantee? I am glad you asked!

THE RESURRECTION IS GOD'S GUARANTEE OF:

I. CHRIST'S DEITY!

Christ's humanity came from the lineage of David, but

1. His deity is proved by the resurrection [Rm. 1:3-4]

2. His holiness is proved by the resurrection [Acts 13:26-39, Ps. 2]
All men are sinners but Christ was/is Holy!

3. His victory where others failed proves His being God [John 20:24-31]

Clarence Darrow, Harry Houdini, Howard Thurston- a famous magician of another time, Mary Baker Patterson Glover Eddy-founder of the blasphemous ill-named Christian Science group and others all failed where Jesus succeeded! If Jesus had not risen it would have proved He was not God, but He did rise and we can say with Thomas, "My Lord and my God!"

II. SALVATION TO ALL WHO PUT THEIR TRUST IN HIM!

1. Jesus said it! [John 14:1-6]

2. Paul said it! [Rm. 4:23-25, 10:9-10]

3. Peter said it! [I Pt. 1:3-4]

III. THE BODILY RESURRECTION OF ALL THE SAVED!

1. We will live because He lives! [Jn. 14:19]

Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

2. The Spirit will raise us because it raised Him! [Rm. 8:11]

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

3. God's glory demands He raise us like He did Jesus [II Cor. 4:6, 10-11, 14-15]

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you. For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.

4. All saints includes both Old and New Testament saints [Job 19:25-27]

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

The songwriter wrote:

And then one day I'll cross the river,I'll fight life's final war with pain. And then as death gives way to victory,I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives.
Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.Because He lives, All fear is gone!Because I know He holds the future And life is worth the living just because He lives!

Of course those who reject the resurrection, reject the Saviour- the Lord Jesus Christ and they reject the work He did on their behalf. Thus leaving them the awful consequences of having to face their own sin and the judgement that will fall on them for that sin.

Acts 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Acts 10:39-43 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree: Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly; Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead. And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.



No comments:

 
mobile='yes'