Tuesday, February 13, 2007

HIGHS & LOWS

Sunday we had Pete Rice preaching at Bradford Baptist Church. Pete has been one of my favorite preachers since the 1970s. He has been a great blessing in my life and Sunday was no exception. It's always a blessing to hear him preach and to have him in my church preaching from my pulpit, and then to share two meals with him...well, it was a "high" day.

Monday morning I got a call from my sister that her brother-in-law, T.D. Scott, had been taken to the hospital in Gainesville, FL (30-40 miles away) earlier that morning because of numbness from his waist down. They didn't think it was life threatening but they just wanted me to know. My wife and I scrapped all our plans for that day and immediately prepared to go see him.

T.D. was in good spirits in his hospital room. He shared how the ambulance driver had seem worried and concerned for him. He said he told the driver, "Listen. If I don't make it to the hospital, don't worry about it. I love the Lord!" We laughed as he said he didn't think it calmed the driver at all! I told him, "It was still a good testimony." (And it was too!) After a nice visit we left to get brunch and then come back to Starke. Later T.D. told his wife to go back home and feed the animals. He was concerned she get home before the traffic got bad.

At 6:47 PM we got the call that T.D. had died unexpectedly at the hospital. We went to his house and spent two hours with his family and friends. Come to think of it, that's just what T.D. was doing. He went Home to spend eternity with family and friends. His parents and at least one brother were waiting on him. Various other relatives were awaiting his arrival. What a grand time they are having... that's a high.

His family and friends here miss him... I know his pastor does. That's a low. Oh, we understand He's with the Lord (high) but we'll miss his laugh, his firm handshake, his hugs, his encouraging words. Heaven has become sweeter still to those of us who know this man. But the only ones who will see him again are those who know this man's Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ!

T.D. knew he was a sinner as the Bible says we all are. He knew that because of our sin we all have earned death and Hell. But he also had learned Jesus died to pay for our sins, and rose again to prove that the payment He had made was enough and to prove that He was who He said He was, God in the flesh. And knowing this, T.D. had put his faith in Jesus by calling upon the name of the Lord. T.D. received the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour and as a result is in Heaven right now! Have you trusted Him? Why not?

John 1

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 14

1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'