Sunday, February 25, 2007

HE HAS BEEN FAITHFUL TO ME

Solomon wrote "Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?" [Pr. 20:6] It is hard to find a man or woman who is truly faithful to God. But as the psalmist noted last week there is One who is always faithful, always trustworthy, always true. Beka, at her recital sang these words...

In my moments of fear
Through every pain and every tear
There's a God whose been faithful to me.
When my strength was all gone
When my heart had no song
Still in love He proved faithful to me
Every word He's promised is true
What I thought was impossible
I've seen my God do.

He's been faithful, faithful to me
Looking back, His love and mercy I see
Oh in my heart, I had questioned
Even failed to believe
But He's been faithful, faithful to me.

When my heart looked away
The many times I could not pray
Even then God was faithful to me
The days I spent so selfishly, reaching out for what pleased me
Still in love He's proved faithful to me
Every time that I come back to Him
He's waiting with open arms and I see once again

He's been faithful, faithful to me
Looking back, His love and mercy I see
Oh in my heart I had questioned
Even failed to believe
Yet He's been faithful, faithful to me.

He's been so faithful, faithful to me (He's been faithful)


This week we turn from the psalmist to the writings the Holy Spirit directed the Apostle Paul to give us.

GOD'S FAITHFULNESS:

I. WILL MAKE US BLAMELESS IN THE FUTURE

I Cor. 1:4-9 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ; That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;
Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord
.

I Th. 5:23-24 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

II. WILL NOT ALLOW US TO BE OVERPOWERED BY TEMPTATION

I Cor. 10:12-13 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

2 Thessalonians 3:1-5 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil. And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you. And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.

III. IS BASED ON GOD'S ATTRIBUTES SO IS UNWAVERING

II Tm. 2:11-13 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Heb. 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.


IV. HAS GIVEN US A BIBLE WE CAN TRUST

Titus 1:6-14 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

Heb. 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)



No comments:

 
mobile='yes'