Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Root of All Evil?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rick Jackson

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. I TIMOTHY 6:10

For many years I did not understand this verse. How could money be the root of all evil when there was evil before there was money? The problem of course was not with the Scripture but was with how I was viewing this particular Scripture.

I. CONSIDER THE CONTRADICTION

The Bible consistently teaches that the root causes of evil fall into three categories. The lust of the eye, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life. Every sin you can think of is based on at least one of these. Let me give you a few examples:

1. The world [system] uses these (I Jn. 2:15-16)

2. The flesh [the old nature] uses these (II Sam. 11:1-4)

3. The Devil uses these (Gen. 3:6, Mt. 4)

And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food (lust of the flesh), and that it was pleasant to the eyes (lust of the eyes), and a tree to be desired to make one wise(pride of life), she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

He tried to use these on Jesus but it didn't work!

II. CONSIDER THE CONTEXT

"A text without a context is a pretext."

1. Some men's sins (I Tm. 5:24, 6:3-4)

2. Some men's good works (I Tm. 5:25-6:2)

3. Some comparisons of contentment and greed (I Tm. 6:5-10)

III. CONSIDER THYSELF CAREFULLY (GAL. 6:1)

This should cause us to:

1. Flee (I Tm. 6:11; I Co. 6:18, 10:14; II Tm. 2:22)

2. Follow (I Tm. 6:11, Mt. 16:24, II Tm. 2:22 )

3. Fight (I Tm. 6:12; I Co. 9:26; II Tm. 4:7)

4. Be Faithful (I Tm. 6:13-21; I Co. 4:2)

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'