Friday, August 18, 2006

Still in the Land of the Living (just Barely)

Wow. What an interesting past 27 hours. Yesterday at noon I left to help my youngest daughter move back to Pensacola, FL to start work on her master's degree. She had her car packed (as well as a lot of my truck}. A brother in Christ, co-worker and longtime friend Wayne rode with me as he was going to pick up a car in Pensacola and we'd convoy back.

The trip to Pensacola was basically uneventful and Wayne and I enjoyed the time of fellowship. Though we minister together we rarely get to sit down and talk (at least for a 5-6 hour stretch like this) and both of us like to challenge the other's intellect and practice our verbal sparring skills. In all modesty I must say, we both did well.

With Beka safely situated we went to see Rachel and Ben (my oldest daughter and my favorite son-in-law). They had a few things I needed to bring back to Starke reality (maybe realty in this case) and the car Wayne was going to bring back was there too. While the kids and I exchanged pleasantries Wayne made the 1989 Lincoln Town Car as road-worthy as possible and soon we were back on the road again. Ben and Rachel were going out to eat with his mother who happened to be in town.

About halfway back we stopped in Tallahasse for the Chick-fil-a treat we had been proming ourselves the whole trip. Alas, it was not to be since they closed at 10 and it was now 10:45. Wayne stopped at a quickie mart and I went to the next exit to a McDonalds. When I got back on the road I asked Wayne where he was (via cell phone) and found he was about 9 miles in front of me. I told him I'd catch up eventually.

A short time later he called me and asked if I had passed him beside the road. I assured him I hadn't and he told me he had hit something and had at least one flat tire! I could see a car beside the road a little ahead of me and I asked him if he had his flashers on. When he replied affirmatively I said, "I see you, I'll be right there!" I also thought I'd try to see what he hit (he wasn't sure). As I got closer to him I saw a 6" x 6" 3' "board" laying just off the roadway but still on the pavement. He was blessed to be right side up I thought.

Sure enough the front right tire was shot. It had taken the brunt of the impact and evidently nothing else was damaged. We couldn't get the tire off and had to call for roadside service. The said they'd be there in an hour. Exactly one hour later Mr. Dennis showed up (he had come from 57 miles away). With all his equipment he had a hard time getting the tire changed and wondered aloud who had put the lugs on so tightly. Finally with our tire changed, Mr. Dennis left with one of my tracts in hand and we were on the road again.

We stopped at the nearest rest area (don't ask) and then were on the road again. I pulled in my driveway at 3:55 AM and Wayne got home probably 5-10 minutes later (I didn't ask). I awoke at 10 AM and started my day afresh but no really refreshed.

Wayne was praising God he was in such a big car (Ben calls it "the Tank") and feels certain has he been in a small car he may not be here to tell the tale. Right after we got on the road from the rest area I thanked God for His mercies.

That though we had a problem:

No-one was injured.

The car was not more badly damaged.

Mr. Dennis didn't refuse the tract.

We were able to make it home.

And the list goes on. Are you thankful?

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I Th. 5:18

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'