Monday, August 14, 2006

LEAVING A LOCAL CHURCH IV

I left a local church in 1976 because unbelievers and cultists were teaching in the denominational schools (which is still going on though the overall leadership is conservative now) I did so on Biblical principles (II Cor. 6, etc.). I had the decency and integrity to go to my pastor and explain why I was leaving. I told him I loved him but I loved the Lord more and had to follow His Word. I could not give money to a church where part was going to support unbelievers tearing up the faith of believers and if I could not support the work financially I shouldn't be a part period. Later I found out I would have had to leave anyway because the local pastor was part of a local ministerial group and they had inter-faith services at Easter and he allowed a cultist to speak in the local church. Denominational sins often end up being local sins. I still consider him my friend and as far as I know he considers me his. The point being, I went to see him and several other church leaders and explained why I was leaving. The pastor was very understanding, some of the others... well... not so much.

Which brings me to my point today. To my recollection, very few people who have left the 3 churches I have pastored have come to me and told me why they were leaving. And of those few who did, none had Scriptural reasons except those who were moving out of town. Of course that's probably why the others didn't come to me in Christian love and duty anyway. No valid reason, just excuses. Some came to me and gave me one reason but told others another reason. One family had 8 different "The reason we are leaving" stories but NOT 1 was Scripturally valid. Do we not realize that:

Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

2 Corinthians 5:9-11

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'