Monday, June 24, 2024

MARY’S HITS & MISSES

LUKE 1:46-55

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I. THE BIG MISSES - MARY’S APOCRYPHAL STATUS

Don’t confuse apocryphal with apocalyptic.

Apocalyptic refers to the end times because of the event we call the apocalypse, the end of the world as we know it.

Definition of apocryphal (adj) not true: probably not true, but widely believed to be true. For example, the Apocrypha is not part of the Holy Writ, not inspired, not inerrant.

 

1. Mary was NOT born of “immaculate conception” , i.e., without original sin [Ps. 51:5, Lk. 1:46-47, Rm. 5:12]

- Behold, I was shapen in iniquity,; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

- And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

- Wherefore , as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

 

2. Mary is NOT the “Mother of God” [Micah 5:2, Mk. 3:33-35]

- But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting .

-And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

 

3. Mary is NOT a Mediatrix nor even a co-Mediatrix [1 Tm. 2:5-6]

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

 

II. MARY’S “ADVANTAGES” SCRIPTURALLY [Lk. 11:27-28]

And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

 

 1. She was Saved by Grace [Lk. 1:46-47, Titus 3:4-7]

- And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

- But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

 

2. She was Submissive to God [Lk. 1:38, Mt. 12:50]

- And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

- For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

 

3. She was Saturated with Scripture [Rm. 3:1-2, 2 Tm. 2:15ff]

- What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision? Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

-Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. [Lk. 1:46-47 comp. with 1 Sam. 2, Ps. 34:3, 35:9, 138:6 etc.]

- O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.

- And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation.

- Though the LORD [be] high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off.

 

III. MARY’S “ADVICE” STANDS

 

1. Believe the Word of God [Lk. 1:26-38]

2. Be Obedient to the Lord Jesus Christ [John 2:5]

His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.

3. Be Faithful in Church Attendance [Acts 1:13-14, 1 Corinthians 4:2]

-And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

- Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'