Friday, November 10, 2023

John R. Rice Quotes of the Week

 Does anybody in the world know of any example of evolution actually taking place today? They do not. Does anybody find in the fossil record intermediary links between the different kinds of plants and animals? They do not. There are no intermediate forms. Each kind in the fossil beds spring forth entirely new and separate. Is there anywhere in the world today where things that evolutionists claim happened before are happening now? Are there fossil beds being made? Are forests being buried and made into coal? Are tremendous quantities of animal matter and vegetable matter being made into petroleum today? They are not. Men who do not want God have a faith, not in the Bible or in Christ, but a faith in man's wisdom, a faith in a manmade system or doctrine, which cannot be proven. - John R. Rice [Genesis, pg. 74]


To some people you cannot prove a matter by the Word of God. They prefer their own experiences or opinions or reason. Carnal-minded people, who seek to make a big impression on others by what they call "speaking in tongues," may not listen to the messages of God in these chapters [1 Cor. 12, 13, and 14]. Such people, Paul concludes, must remain spiritually ignorant on the question. - John R. Rice [I Am A Fundamentalist, pg. 210]


In II John 9 and 10 we are commanded:
"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed."
Notice this Scripture does not say that one who "abides not in Christ hath not God." No, it says that one who abideth not in THE DOCTRINE of Christ hath not God. And again we are told that if any one "bring not this DOCTRINE," we are not to receive him in the houses, not pulpits, not platforms, nor bid him Godspeed, nor call him a Christian. People are to be judged by loyalty to the Word as loyalty to Christ. Disloyalty to the doctrine of Christ is disloyalty to Christ. - John R. Rice [Sweet Family Ties in Heaven and Hell, pg. 46]


Somebody says, "Well, there is so much to give up if I come out-and-out for Jesus." It is nothing compared with what you will have to give up if you don't! - John R. Rice [The Scarlet Sin, pg. 160]


A saved person ought to marry only a saved person. Christian, if you want a happy marriage, then don't yoke up with an unbeliever. A child of God tied up with a child of the Devil, one going to Heaven and the other to Hell, one trying to honor God and living by prayer and faith and morality and obedience to the Christian faith, and the other one following the lusts of the flesh, is not the way to have a happy marriage. Christians ought to marry Christians and not be unequally yoked. - John R. Rice [Victory in 1975, pg. 21]


A woman in Dallas said to me, "I am afraid I am not saved, I don't feel like I am. Neither do I act like I am saved."
I said, "We can soon settle that. Look at this verse in Romans, Chapter 10 and verse 13, 'For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.' Have you called on the Lord to save you?"
"oh, yes," she said, "I have called and called. I have prayed and prayed. But I am afraid I didn't pray right."
I said, "Let's look at this again. Does it say, 'For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord exactly right gets saved'? No. So you are putting in there what God didn't put in there. 'For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.'" I said, "Let me illustrate it. Do you have a good family doctor?"
"Yes, we have a good Christian doctor. He is a friend of the family. And we go to him with everything."
I said, "Let's imagine you go down to that doctor's office some day and you say, 'O Doctor, I have a splitting headache and fever of 103 degrees. What will I do?'"
"And the doctor says, 'Sit down here now and when I get through with these other patients I will talk to you.'
"Then the doctor comes and he says, 'Now let's see. What can I do for you?'
"You say, 'Doctor, I AIN'T had a minute free of pain for three days.'
"Suppose that doctor says, 'You said AIN'T. Get out of my office. I don't treat anybody who uses bad language or bad grammar.'"
This woman said, "Brother Rice, that is foolish! He is not caring about my grammar. He wants to get people well."
I said, "That is no more foolish than to suppose that God would let you go to Hell if you didn't say it just right. You come to ask Him for salvation, but you don't know how to say it." - John R. Rice [Sure Success in 1977, pg. 25]


Do you remember the case of the king who had a steward who owed him ten thousand talents and could not pay? The king, Jesus said, frankly forgave him all. But this lord had a servant who owed him a hundred pence. He went and seized him by the throat and cast him in prison until he should pay him all. The servants were sorry, and when the king heard about it he was greatly angered and cast this ungrateful man into prison until he, too, should pay all he owed. And Jesus said, "So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses" (Matt. 18:35). How sinful, then, it is in God's sight for us not to love those whom Jesus loved and forgave. What a blessed trade it is, what a holy bargain for us when we receive complete forgiveness for all our sins and God simply asks us to forgive others their small sins against us. Yes, love truly covers the multitude of sins, our own sins as well as our brother's. - John R. Rice [page 109, Dr. Rice, Here Are More Questions...]

All re



No comments:

 
mobile='yes'