Sunday, May 29, 2022

CALAMITY & COMFORT

ISAIAH 40:1-14                                                  


Pastor Rick Jackson                                       

 

I. GOD THE FATHER IS A COMFORTER [v. 1-2]

 

1. It is Part of Who He Is [2 Cor. 1:3]

 

Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;

 

2. It is Part of What He Has Given [Ps. 119:50, 76, 82; Rm. 15:4]

 

This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

Let, I pray thee, thy merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to thy word unto thy servant.

Mine eyes fail for thy word, saying, When wilt thou comfort me?

 

3. It is Part of What He Has Planned [Zech. 1:17, Rev. 7:17, 21:4]

 

…and the LORD shall yet comfort Zion, and shall yet choose Jerusalem.

For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

 

II. GOD THE SON IS A COMFORTER [v. 3-6, 10-12]

 

1.  By His Presence [Ps. 23:1-4]

 

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

 

2. By His Promise [1 Thess. 4:13-18]

 

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

 

3.  By His Position [1 John 2:1] parakletos,  par-ak'-lay-tos;  an intercessor, consoler:--advocate, comforter.

 

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

 

III. GOD THE SPIRIT IS A COMFORTER [v. 7-9, 13-14; Acts 9:31]

 

Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

 

1. “Tailor-made” [John 14:16-17]

 

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

 

2. Teacher [John 14:24-26, Romans 15:4]

 

He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

 

3. Treasure [John 15:26, 16:7]

 

But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'