Saturday, December 18, 2021

JOHN R. RICE QUOTES OF THE WEEK

 You shouldn't tell lies. You say, "What about Santa Claus?" It is certainly wrong to lie about Santa Claus and tell that myth as the truth. Such lying and deception is always a sin, and Christians should not be guilty of it. However, I do not believe that Santa Claus would necessarily be wrong used simply as a symbol of Christmas cheer and giving and happiness, provided one did not mislead children nor help others mislead them. It is possible for Christian people to use Santa Claus as simply a kind of Christmas symbol like we use Christmas trees and holly and greeting cards and turkey dinners. In our own home we spoke about Santa Claus in a symbolic way. All my children from babyhood were taught the simple truth that Santa Claus was simply a mythical character who does not exist. Rather, he represents an idea of Christmas cheer and giving. - John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pg. 9]


And so with baptism. It is a picture of the burial and resurrection of Christ. He wants us to remember His resurrection. It would be good for us to remember His birth also. It is put down in the Bible, and God wanted us to know about it, and God wanted us to enjoy it and rejoice in it. There is nothing wrong about celebrating the birth of Christ and His coming. Just so, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." - John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pg. 10]


Let's put Christ at the head and top at Christmastime. Let us love Him. Let me suggest this. Be sure that in your private devotions in your time alone with the Bible, your heart is happy. Make sure you thank God for Jesus Christ, His coming as a Saviour. Let your heart run over with joy. - John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pg. 13]


It is said that G. Campbell Morgan, the great English preacher, when he was just a young preacher, built a little home. He was so proud of it.
He had his godly father to come see it and led him through the rooms in this little cottage. His father said, "I don't like it."
"What is the matter?"
He said, "You couldn't tell whether a Christian or a heathen, an infidel, lives here. There is not a thing on the wall, not a motto, not a plaque-nothing to mark it as a Christian home."
Dr. G. Campbell Morgan said he learned a lesson. So in every room he put some kind of motto or Scripture verse or some indication that his house belonged to God. - John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pg. 15-16]


"Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people."
Somebody Says, "I don't think it is fair. Jesus died for only a particular few. He favored them. He wanted the rest to go to Hell." You are dead wrong. There is good news for everybody in the world. And those who don't take it--it is their fault, for they could. Oh, this is "the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" (John 1:9). This is that One where conscience has told you you are a sinner and need a Saviour and you are going to have to answer for it. This is the good news for everybody in the world. Jesus is born. John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pgs. 16-17]


Here is good news. "Unto you is born this day. . .a Saviour." Somebody said, "Well, if I could get the Irish Sweepstakes and make some money. . . ." No, no! You say, "Well, if I could get a state lottery and make some money. . . ." You say, "If I could make some great invention or get a patent and make some money. . . ." Listen, you don't need those things. What you need is forgiveness, peace, salvation, eternal life and a home in Heaven. You need a Saviour! - John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pg. 17]


I talked to a poor, troubled woman who sat with tears in a service in Dallas, Texas. I said, "Come on and trust in Jesus."
She said, "I can't."
I said, "Yes, you can. He loves you."
She said, "I can't. Don't torment me."
I said, "Yes, you can. Why not?"
She said, "I can't forget what I have done."
I turned to Hebrews, chapter 10, and read where He said, "I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them." Read where He said, "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.' Then read where Jesus said, "Their sins and iniquities will I remember no more."
Then I said to her, "Do you see what Jesus is talking about? Not judgment but salvation. Not whether you are good or not, but salvation for everybody who wants it."
That troubled woman stopped her sobbing and said, "If He can forget it, I will too." And she came to trust the Saviour.
I am glad there is good news for everybody. The Scripture said, "Unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Ah, good news! And everybody can have Him if they will. - John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pg. 17]


John 6:37, "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." The one who comes doesn't get turned down. "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price," says Isaiah 55:1. Isaiah 1:18 says, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." What does God want you to do? Come.
So they [the shepherds] went hastily. The Bible doesn't need to tell us that their faces lighted up. The Bible doesn't need to tell us they looked on that Saviour and were glad and loved Him and trusted Him and were born again. No, they came to Jesus gladly-as soon as they could get there. They hurried to do it. I know I will meet those shepherds in Heaven. - John R. Rice [Christmas Now and All the Year, pg. 18]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'