Wednesday, December 30, 2020

THIS FINAL HOUR

1 Corinthians 11:17-34

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I realize this is not the final hour of 2020 though it is not far off. But this is, unless something extraordinary happens, the final hour of a Bradford Baptist Church service in 2020. It could be the final hour of my life. It could be the final hour of your life. So many have died in recent days. Local people. Famous people. Strangers. Every hour is someone’s final hour. I praise God you have chosen to spend this final hour here. Whatever hour this may be. In a few moments time we will have the Lord’s Supper for the first and last time of this year. That is unusual, but this has been an unusual year. Now we come to this hour. What kind of hour will it be? Let this Hour be:

 

I. THE HOUR OF REFLECTION

 

1. A Reflection of God’s Faithfulness [v. 23-26]

 

2. A. Reflection of Our Failures [v. 27-29]

 

3. A Reflection of the World’s Fears [v. 30-32]

 

II. THE HOUR OF DEDICATION

 

1. Christ’s Willingness as Our Example [v. 23-25]

 

2. Our Willingness as Our Expression [v. 28]

 

Isiah said, “Here am I, send me”, Paul said, “Lord, what will Thou have me to do?” John the Baptist said, “He must increase, I must decrease”, Billy Sunday said, “I want to be a giant for God”, William Carey said, “The future is as bright as the promises of God.”

What are you saying?

What am I saying?

 

3. God’s Willingness to use Us as Our Expectation [v. 28-31]

 

III. THE HOUR OF DECISION

 

1. Let God Be Glorified by Your Living For Him [Phil. 1: 20-21]

 

According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

 

2. Let God Be Glorified by Your Dying to Self [John 12:24]

 

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

1 Corinthians 15:31-32 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily . If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die.

 

3. Let God Be Glorified by Your Pointing Others to Him [John 15:8]

 

Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'