Monday, November 16, 2020

THE PROBLEMS OF A CARNAL CHRISTIAN


I COR. 3:1-4

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

Samson was the strongest man in the world in the physical sense of the term, but sin made him weak. He had power to conquer others, but he couldn’t conquer his own lust. Samson could kill a lion with his bare hands, but he couldn’t kill his sin nature.

 

I. THE CAUSE OF SAMSON’S PROBLEMS [JUDGES 14-16]

 

1. The Choices He Made

-the wrong girlfriends [14:1-3, 16:1, 4]

-the wrong view of standards [14:8-9]

-the wrong view of strength [16:5-16]

-he did not flee temptations- he flirted with them! “I can handle it… I know she is out to get me but…

 

2. The Chances He Took - Samson played games with holy things and lost!

- our bodies are holy [1 Cor. 6:19-20]

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

- our Bibles are holy [2 Cor. 4:2]

But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

- our behavior is holy [1 Peter 1:15-16]

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

2 Peter 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

 

II. THE CONSEQUENCES OF SAMSON’S PROBLEMS [JUDGES 14-16

 

1. Lost his power [16:20] sin befuddles

 

2. Lost his eyes [16:21] sin blinds

 

3. Lost his freedom [16:21] sin binds

 

4. Lost his testimony [16:24] sin brands - lost the chance to be a blessing to others

 

5. Lost his life [16:30] sin’s wages

 

6. Lost his opportunity to obey and serve God [13:5, 16:30, 1 Corinthians 11:30]

For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life.

For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

 

III. THE CURE OF SAMSON’S PROBLEMS

 

1. Die to Self [John 12:24] Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

1 Corinthians 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily .

Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

 

2. Live for God [Philippians 1:21] For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Galatians 2:19-20 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

 

Many want the thrill of feeling right but do not want the inconvenience of being right.

 

3. Keep Short Accounts with God [1 Jn. 1:9, Proverbs 28:13]

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'