Sunday, November 15, 2020

A TRUE FRIEND

JOB 32-33

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

There is a difference of opinion concerning Elihu amongst Christians. Some claim him to be like Job’s 3 friends and another tool of the Devil while others believe him to be an earnest youth, not perfect, but certainly a tool of God. Count me as one of the latter for several reasons.

 

1) Elihu is sensitive to Job’s suffering

2) Elihu claims God is his source of wisdom- not age, intelligence or experience

3) when God rebukes Job’s 3 friends he does not rebuke Elihu

 

I. ELIHU’S INTRODUCTION [32] Elihu’s name means God is Mighty or God’s Strength

 

1. His Wrath [v. 1-3] Ephesians 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

 

2. His Restraint [v. 4-6]

 

3. His Inspiration [v. 7-22, 1 Corinthians 2:11]

 

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

 

II. ELIHU’S EXPLANATION [33:1-11]

 

1. From the Heart [v. 1-3]

 

2. From Commonality [v. 4-7]

 

3. From Paying Attention [v. 8-11]

 

III. ELIHU’S THEOLOGY [33:12-33]

 

1. God is Worthy [v. 12-13, Romans 3:4]

 

…yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Is. 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

 

2. God is Working [v. 14-29] Esp. v. 18 cf. 2 Cor. 12:7-10

 

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

 

3. God is Wise [v. 30-33] Daniel 2:20 Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever : for wisdom and might are his:

1 Corinthians 1:24 Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Ephesians 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

 

Hebrews 12 teaches that there are 3 ways to meet the chastening hand of God

 

1) despise it [v. 5] as though God was not involved in it

2) faint under it [v. 5] be a quitter

3) be exercised by it [v. 11]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'