Friday, June 05, 2020

JOHN R. RICE QUOTES OF THE WEEK

When you come out of the water, picturing new life, you didn't get that new life in the water. It is an object lesson picturing the new life. You can go into the water a dry sinner and come up a wet sinner. Baptism ought to picture something that has happened already. Do not think that baptism secures salvation. It does not. Baptism pictures salvation. - John R. Rice [Ten Messages That Changed Ten Thousand Lives, pg.196]

Baptism pictures salvation. It not only ought to picture that this old man is now dead to sin but also that he is alive to newness of life. New life. New power. Walking like Jesus. Wanting what Jesus wants. Going in His power. Jesus lived and died to save sinners; so that must be the Christian's aim. - John R. Rice [Ten Messages That Changed Ten Thousand Lives, pg.196]

Let me tell you, this pussyfooting generation has scholarship but not the power of God. This pussyfooting generation says the only real vital issue is love. Love everybody, pat the Devil's crowd on the back and tell them how nice they are. That is not New Testament Christianity. New Testament Christianity is bold against sin, bold to attack it, bold to expect the hand of God to intervene to save sinners. So our great lack is the fullness of the Spirit, which gives boldness to our testimony. - John R. Rice [Ten Messages That Changed Ten Thousand Lives, pg. 203]

I was saved in a Baptist church, and I grew up to love Baptist people. And I suspect I absorbed a lot of Baptist prejudice. Not that it is wrong to be a Baptist, but it is wrong to believe that Baptists are the only people in the world going to Heaven. It ought to be Jesus and the Bible first.
I believe one ought to be baptized by immersion. I believe one ought not be baptized until he is saved. I believe nobody should be a member of the church but saved people. I believe it is wrong to sprinkle babies. I believe when Jesus saves us, we are saved forever. All that is Baptist doctrine. So I am a Baptist.
But some people foolishly claim that it means more than that. Some claim it is loyalty to the denomination, that Baptists are THE people, etc. I do not believe one's loyalty should be to a denomination but to Christ and the Bible. - John R. Rice [Ten Messages That Changed Ten Thousand Lives, pg. 230]


You say, "Wickedness is so great. There is so much sin." Yes, but wherever there is sin there is heartbreak. And heartbroken people are easier to win than the self-satisfied. The old Devil is always overstepping himself. God makes the wrath of men to praise Him. God sometimes lets the Devil do some of his work in order to get sinners ready to be saved. "Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound" (Rom. 5:20). I say, the fact is, sin never satisfies anybody. - John R. Rice [Ten Messages That Changed Ten Thousand Lives, pg. 260]

Do you want to know why I am bold in my preaching? I will tell you why. People may look very mad and talk very sharp, but I know one thing about them: there is something inside that says, "You fool! That preacher is right. You are getting nowhere. You are going to cause your home to break up if you don't watch out. You will lose your job. Then you will wake up in Hell if you don't watch out. That preacher is right!" When I preach sharp, plain and hard messages some people don't like it. But there is something down inside that says, "You had better listen, old boy, to God's man. That fellow is right!" Conscience is a friend of the Gospel. - John R. Rice [Ten Messages That Changed Ten Thousand Lives, pg. 261]

Many long for revival and pray for revival. As solemnly as I know how I urge that there cannot possible be any great revival except by a mighty moving of the Holy Spirit as God's people seek his power and wait upon Him for enduement from on high. And I believe that revival is the only hope of survival for Bible Christianity in the churches. O God, send upon us the power of Pentecost that we may see the revival for which we have so longed prayed and for which we now devoutly yearn! - John R. Rice {The Power of Pentecost, pg. 10]


No comments:

 
mobile='yes'