Sunday, March 24, 2019

CHOOSE




JOSHUA 24:15

Pastor Rick Jackson

I. GUIDELINES FOR CHOOSING

1. The Clear Blessing of God [v. 1-13, Rm. 12:1]

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2. The Clear Instruction of God [v. 14, Ecclesiastes 12:1, 13]

Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man

3. The Clear Duty of God’s Man [v. 15; Rm. 12:1]

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

II. GRAPPLING WITH CHOOSING

1. It is an Individual Choice [v. 15, Acts 9:6, Rm. 12:1] “choose YOU this day”

“Lord, what wilt thou have ME to do?” “that YE present your bodies”

Now I know Joshua was making a family decision- but even when you are under the authority of parents a child must decide in his heart, which only God can see, whether or not he/she is serving God inwardly as well as outwardly.

2. It is a Daily Choice [v. 15, 1 Corinthians 15:31] “choose you THIS DAY

“I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.”

As long as the Devil running loose -this will be a daily chore,
As long as this world is no friend of grace -this will be a daily chore,
As long as the flesh lusteth against the spirit -this will be a daily chore!

3. It is a Distinctive Choice [v. 15] “WHOM ye will serve”

evil vs. good, idols vs. the One True God, darkness vs. light, this present evil world system vs. the Kingdom of God
Choose the spiritual over the carnal! Choose the eternal over the temporal! Choose God’s will over Satan’s will. Choose God’s will over the world’s will! Choose God’s will over man’s will! Choose commitment over convenience!

III. CONSEQUENCES OF CHOOSING [v. 20]

1. Your Choice will Affect Others [v. 15-18] “MY house” your family, your friends, your acquaintances, others]

2. Your Choice will Affect Yourself Now [v. 15, Acts 9:6, Gal. 2:19-20, Philippians 1:21]

-And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
-For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
-For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
3. Your Choice will Affect Your Future [2 Tm. 4:6-8]

For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth … And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; … but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'