Wednesday, November 14, 2018

NO MUGWUMPS


                                                          

PSALM 2                                                                              

Pastor Rick Jackson

One of my favorite teachers in college was a history professor. Dr. Graham had a very dry wit which just made me love his class even more. He was teaching us about a group called the mugwumps. These people crossed political lines to support the opposing party’s candidate for various reasons. They called themselves Mugwumps. The mugwumps derived their name from a native American term which meant “great chief”. People who did not like them said they were fence straddlers. That they couldn’t decide which side to be on and tried to have it both ways. In short, they had their “mugs” on one side of the fence and their “wumps” on the other.

The Word of God tells us that there is a spiritual war raging all around us. Since the angel Lucifer turned against God he has sought to turn anyone and anything against God. This is a conflict in which neutrality is an impossibility. The Lord Jesus said in Luke 11:23 He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth.
When Adam sinned he aligned the world's system with the Devil's side. This world is no friend of grace. The Bible says [James 4:4] Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
You have a choice but the choice is to be God's servant or Satan's servant. There is no middle ground, no other options, no neutrality. Psalm 2 clearly draws the line in the sand to help you make the decision concerning what side you will be on.

I. THE WICKEDNESS OF THE WORLD [2:1-3]

1. Shown in Its Rage [v. 1a, Jn. 15:18] If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

2. Shown in Its Ramblings [v. 1b, Rm. 1:21-22]
-Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

3. Shown in Its Rebellion [v. 2-3, 1 Jn. 2:15-17]
-Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

II. THE FEELINGS OF THE FATHER [2:4-6]

1. Derision [v. 4]

2. Displeasure [v. 5]

3. Determination [v. 6]

III. THE SUPREMACY OF THE SON [2:7-9]

1. His Resurrection Proclaimed [v. 7, Acts 13:33, Rm. 1:4]

-God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.
And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

2. His Reign Promised [v. 8]

-Psalm 110:1 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
-Matthew 22:44 The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?
-Mark 12:36 For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.
-Acts 2:35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool .
-Hebrews 1:13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?

3. His Reign's Power [v. 9, Rev. 19]

IV. THE SENSIBILITY OF THE SPIRIT [2:10-12]

1. Listen to Reason [v. 10, Is. 1:18]

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

2. Lean to Rejoicing [v. 11] "Trust and obey, for there is no other way, to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey.”

3. Learn to Repent [v. 12, John 16:7-11]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'