Wednesday, November 07, 2018

GOD'S ELECT & THE ELECTION




Pastor Rick Jackson

Like many of you I was both pleased and displeased with the results of Tuesday's elections. Some people I wanted in office did not get elected. Some people I voted for did get elected. Some amendments I voted for were passed. For me elections have nothing to do with race or party but everything to do with right and principles.

So, now someone is going into office and you didn't vote for them. You don't like them, and you don't like what they stand for. What do you do?

I. THERE SHOULD BE A CONSIDERED RESPECT

Consider this, even if you don't like the person, you should respect the Office.

1. This was Paul's consideration [Acts 23:1-5]

And Paul, earnestly beholding the council, said, Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day. And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth. Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law? And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God's high priest? Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

2. This was Michael's consideration [Jude 1:9]

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

3. This was Jesus's consideration [Jn. 19:8-11]

When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid; And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer. Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

II. THERE SHOULD BE A CALCULATED RESPONSE

1. There is the Rule of Conscientious Duty [Rm. 13:1-7]

2. There is Room for Conscientious Objections [Acts 4:18-21]

And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.

3. There is the Responsibility for Careful Confrontation [2 Sam. 12:1-7ff]

III. THERE SHOULD BE A CHRISTIAN REGARD

1. Prayer is a Christian Duty [1 Sam. 12:13-25]

2. Power is a Divine Prerogative [Hosea 13:9-11]

O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help. I will be thy king: where is any other that may save thee in all thy cities? and thy judges of whom thou saidst, Give me a king and princes? I gave thee a king in mine anger, and took him away in my wrath.

3. Prayer is a Protective Hedge [1 Tm. 2:1-8]

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'