Thursday, October 20, 2011

Water in Your Soul

 
Bill Rice Ranch - First Light Devotionals 

Psalm 69:1 "Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul."

 

 

 

I remember being four years old and in over my head in the Ranch swimming pool. I don't remember what events led up to that point, but I can distinctly remember the sheer panic that I felt!

 

In life, have you ever had the feeling of being in over your head? Sometimes we can be overwhelmed in life because we are in the water; other times, we can be overwhelmed because the water is in us. In other words, it is a bad thing to be in water over your head; it's even worse when the water gets in your lungs! The everyday problems of life can build into a greater problem-water in our souls.

 

David knew the kind of desperation and panic of drowning in a sea of life's problems. He prayed, "Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul." What should we do when we have "water in our souls"? First, ask God for help. The first words of this psalm are "save me"! God knows what your problems are, and He knows what to do about them. As a friend, I might not know that you are drowning on the inside, but God does. Whether or not you tell another person about it, be sure you tell God about it!

 

Second, wait on God for help. David said, "I am weary of my crying . . . mine eyes fail while I wait for my God." Waiting on God is not some passive thing you do when you can't do anything else. Waiting in the Bible is a particular kind of trust-patient trust. Once you ask God for help, patiently wait for His help!

 

Third, thank God for His help. At the end of Psalm 69, David says, "I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving." Thanking and praising God is pleasing to Him! Once you have asked God for help and have patiently waited for His help, don't forget to thank Him for His help.

 

I don't know what situation you find yourself in this morning. It may be that you are in over your head. Maybe life's problems have poured into your soul. While it is true that you cannot choose the problems you get, you can choose what you will do about them. If you have a problem in your heart today, tell God about it. Keep asking Him about it as you wait for His help. When God does answer, make sure you thank Him! 

Looking for more devotionals?  Visit the archives here

 
 
Bill Rice Ranch | 627 Bill Rice Ranch Road | Murfreesboro | TN | 37128

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'