I SAMUEL 17:1-40
Pastor Rick Jackson
A very familiar passage of Scripture. A well known true story. And yet, there is much to be derived from even the most familiar of passages. Even though you know the outcome as you approach this account think for a moment... Goliath could've won. He had won many such battles in the past. David would've lost under "normal" circumstances. Goliath wasn't the only battle he had to fight that day. It should've been a massacre in the other direction. The events of that day some 3000 years ago speak loudly to us today. Let us look first at:
I. WHY GOLIATH COULD HAVE WON
1. Goliath was well proportioned [v. 4] The flesh is a strong enemy.
2. Goliath was well prepared [v. 5-7, 33, 41] The world is a powerful ally to the flesh.
3. Goliath was well programmed [v. 43-44] Satan is stronger than us.
I Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
II. WHY DAVID WOULD HAVE LOST
1. His motives were questioned [v. 28]
2. His methods were questioned [v. 38-40] There may be more than one way to do something.
3. His manhood was questioned [v. 42-44] No-one thought the colonists could defeat Britain either...
III. WHY THE OTHERS SHOULD HAVE DONE WHAT DAVID DID
1. They should have recognized there was a cause [v. 11, 24, 29]
2. They should have remembered and had courage [v. 32-36]
3. They should have relied on the Lord Jesus Christ [v. 37, 45-47]
-you and I have a cause... the cause of the Lord... winning souls & growing spiritually
-you and I should have courage based on past victories the Lord has won on our behalf...
-you and I can say with Paul "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. "
Let Us do it!