Tuesday, May 10, 2016

LADIES BIBLE STUDY

Requirements 


Prepared by Mrs. Rick Jackson

Just as a reminder, our lessons this year were sparked by one of Pastor’s messages from end of last year (in December) entitled, What Does the Lord Require of Us, and he used the scripture Micah 6:8. That has now become our memory verse for this year, so let’s read the entire verse together again: Micah 6:8. Can you read it with me? 
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord 
require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk  
humbly with thy God? 


And What Doth the Lord Require of Thee? 

As I was meditating on this verse, I thought it sounded awfully familiar.  Then I remembered our reading of Deuteronomy back in March of this year.  Look with me in Deuteronomy Chapter 10 beginning in verse 12 
12And now,Israel, what doth theLORDthy Godrequireof thee, but tofeartheLORDthy God, towalkin all hisways, and tolovehim, and toservetheLORDthyGodwith all thy heartand with all thysoul, 13Tokeepthecommandmentsof theLORD, and hisstatutes, which Icommandthee thisday for thygood? 
Doesn’t that sound similar to what we are memorizing?  Now Pastor just preached on it Sunday night two weeks ago, reminding us that it was given to the nation of Israel, but there are principles which apply to us as well.  We are to fear God, walk in His ways, love Him, serve Him with all our being and keep His commandments!  That’s a tall order! What does the Lord require of thee?  I have been meditating on that for these past three months.  What does the Lord require of thee?  MUCH! I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 4:2, “Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.” 
Turn just a few pages over to Deuteronomy 18:18 – God later said to Moses, 
18I will raise themupaProphetfromamong theirbrethren, like unto thee, and willputmy wordsin hismouth; and he shallspeakunto them all that I shallcommandhim. 19And it shall come to pass,thatwhosoever will nothearkenunto mywordswhich he shall speakin myname, I willrequireitof him. 

So we see that we are also required to listen to God’s Prophet, Jesus Christ. We are to listen to His Words, because they are required of us.  Again, what does that mean?  What does that say to you?  It says to me that I have to be very familiar with the Word of God, and that I must follow what I know of it.  Now, I cannot do that if I don’t read it and know what it says, can I?  That’s why it’s so important for us to read the Bible every day!  We will be held accountable! 
But To Do Justly 
   
There’s an interesting verse in Proverbs that says: “Todojusticeandjudgmentismore acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.[Proverbs 21:3] It reminds me of the time in King Saul’s life when the prophet Samuel told him to wait on his arrival to make the sacrifice after the victory of war and when Samuel didn’t show up on time, Saul went ahead and made the sacrifice without him. “AndSamuelsaid, Hath theLord as great delightin burntofferingsandsacrifices, as in obeyingthevoiceof theLord? Behold, to obeyisbetterthansacrifice,andtohearken than thefatoframs.” [1 Samuel 15:22] What am I saying?  God is not looking for us to be martyrs.  He doesn’t expect us to go around bemoaning all the things we “gave up” for Him.  Rather, He is looking for us to do right and to be right.  Our verse says, “To Do Justly!” What exactly does that mean? 
We have just recently read through the book of Mark and in it is the perfect example.  Turn to Mark 12, and we will begin reading with verse 28: 

28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, hear, o israel; the lord our god is one lord: 30 and thou shalt love the lord thy god with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. 32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: 33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. 34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question. 
 This is what came to my mind as I meditated on “to do justly.” How are we “to do justly”?  Jesus summed up the ten commandments right here.  We put God first by loving Him with our entire being.  Do I love God supremely?  Do I show God how much I love him?  Am I doing justly for God?  Do I pray faithfully?  Do I read His Word?  Is it my desire, my love for Him that causes me to do so, or because someone tells me I should?  Do I serve Him the best I know how?  And, secondly, do I love my neighbor as myself?  Just these few verses give me so much pause! 

He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth theLORDrequireof thee,  
but to dojustly. 

Let us go forth and “do justly!”

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'