Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Yeah?-Right.

Ever have a "Yeah?-right." moment? You know- someone says something they think is profound, or cool, or plausible and you respond somewhat sarcastically [at least in your mind] "Yeah?-Right." Need some examples? I'm your guy.

UConn was banned by the NCAA from last year's tournament for poor academic performance. That is, their players did not get good enough grades to compete for a NCAA championship. This year they won said championship.

According to Fox Sports - Shabazz, a senior guard who was named Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four, went off on an emotional rant, ripping the NCAA on live TV during his post-game interview with CBS' Jim Nantz.
"I want to get everybody's attention right quick," he said to the crowd at AT&T Stadium in North Texas. "If I don't have your attention, let me get your attention. Ladies and gentlemen, you're looking at the Hungry Huskies. This is what happens when you ban us ... last year ... two years. We worked so hard for it. Two years and hungry. Hungry Huskies."

Yeah?-Right. So if they had not been banned they would NOT have tried to win?  The good thing about the ban is -they apparently got their grades up so they could compete. Congratulations for learning what the "C" in NCAA stands for- Collegiate. Oh- and congratulations on winning the championship. The players may not realize it but the victory of getting their grades up was actually greater than the victory of winning the championship.

Many years ago a man left our church to rejoin his old church. I have no problem with this- go wherever the Lord leads you. He gave me one reason but he told a friend of his, a member of our church, another reason. "Brother Rick never preaches about [and then he mentioned a certain subject]." Yeah?-Right. Funny thing is- I had just preached on that exact subject the week before. On a Wednesday night, but since this fellow only attended on Sunday mornings he didn't hear it. But he confidently proclaimed I NEVER preach on that subject. If you only attend 1/3 of the services should you really speak authoritatively on what has been preached? If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Recently someone said "He doesn't preach on [subject]." It may have been true in the 2 times they had heard me preach I had not preached on that subject but to think I never do is, to me, a "Yeah?-Right." moment.

Let us be careful what we say. I have no doubt I have given people a few "Yeah?-Right." moments myself.

Yeah?-Right.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'