Sunday, November 17, 2013

WHY DID JESUS STAY ON THE CROSS?


                  MT. 27:39-44     

 

Adapted from Lee Roberson by Pastor Rick Jackson

 

It was not the nails that held Jesus to the cross- with all His power He could have come down. It was not human weakness- Jesus said, “I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.” It was not because He could not get help any time he desired it. Remember he told Peter, “Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?” What then is the answer to our question?

 

I. HIS LOVE FOR US HELD HIM TO THE CROSS

 

1. His Love Is Unusual [Mt. 5:43-46, Rm. 5:6-8]

 

2. His Love Is Unfailing [Rm. 8:35-39, Jn. 13:1]

 

3. His Love Is Unselfish [what did man give Him?]

 

II. HIS SUBMISSION TO GOD’S WILL HELD HIM TO THE CROSS [Heb. 10:4-14]

 

1. It Was Foredetermined [Acts 2:22-23a, Revelation 13:8 …the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.]

 

2. It Was Foreknown [Acts 2:23]

 

3. It Was Foreseen [Acts 2:24-36]

 

III. OUR SINS HELD HIM TO THE CROSS

 

1. He Bore Our Sins to Satisfy the Law of God [Rm. 6:23, Is. 53, I Jn. 2:2]

 

2. He Bore Our Sins to Take Them Away From Us [I Jn. 3:5, Jn. 1:19]

 

3. He Bore Our Sins to Bring Us to God [I Peter 3:18]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'