Friday, April 05, 2013

Homegoing service of Brother Wayne Vinson

This is the basic outline of the memorial service held today at the Bradford Baptist Church in Starke, FL
 

I am honored today to share the platform with Wayne’s best friend from his college days- Cliff Boggs. He and his wife Vangie have known Wayne longer than me. She will be playing the piano for this memorial service and Cliff will be singing songs Wayne himself picked out. At this time, Cliff will lead us all in a congregational song that Wayne also picked out.

#130 When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

On January 20th of this year Wayne told me the songs we sang in the morning service were the songs he wanted sung at his funeral- I said okay and have kept the bulletin on my desk- not knowing where to file it. On this past Sunday morning, at my request, Wayne sang “Rise Again”. Sunday evening, by his own choice he sang a song about Heaven, “The Holy City”. As is often the case with those led by the Spirit of God, Wayne helped us prepare for his homegoing. Thank you for coming today as we remember our brother in Christ and honor his Saviour. At this time Cliff will come and sing the song of Testimony Wayne picked out-

#824 All That Thrills My Soul is Jesus

Vinson – Preston Wayne Vinson, age 53, of Starke, Florida passed away April 2, 2013 at Shands Starke. He was born on July 18, 1959 in Hammond, IN to Preston Bargus Vinson and Margaret Ann Vinson.  Wayne was a member of Bradford Baptist Church and served officially for many years and unofficially the last few years as the Music Minister of the church.  Wayne enjoyed golfing, watching sports [especially Alabama], and listening to and singing Southern Gospel music. 

Wayne is survived by his loving wife of 19 years, Beth Vinson of Starke, FL; his daughters, Megan Elizabeth Vinson and Hannah Joy Vinson also of Starke, FL; his parents, his brothers, Glen Allen Vinson, Jerry Dean Vinson, and Stephen Ray Vinson and his other beloved family members.

Interment will follow at Hope Cemetery in Theressa, FL.

 

At this time Cliff Boggs will come and sing the hymn of praise-

 

#801 How Great Thou Art

 

“Reflections” Wayne Vinson could be described in many ways… some of them complimentary. He had a strange sense of humor… a love of country, family, church & God. He was musically talented but strangely humble about it. Above all- he had a strong faith in God. He felt everyone should be a Christian, and every Christian should serve God as a clean vessel. A song he loved that teaches this truth is the one Vangie will play for us now-

 

#803 Vessels for the Master’s Use

 

On Tuesday Wayne made a journey to a place I want to go. In Luke 23:43 we find this statement “And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.” That’s where Wayne went. 2 Corinthians 5:6, 8 says “Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: We are confident, I say, and ° willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.” Do you know why I want to go to Paradise, otherwise known as the 3rd Heaven?

I. I WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN BECAUSE OF THE CHARACTER OF THAT PLACE

[Rev. 21:1-4, 10-12, 16, 18, 21-22:5] No death, no goodbyes, no cemeteries, no sin, no drunk drivers, no locks on the doors, no hunger, no thirst, no hospitals because there is no sickness, no bills to pay, no disappointment, no heartache, no weariness, no Devil, no sin. If I wasn’t already booked for a flight you could sign me up right now.

II. I WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN BECAUSE OF THE CROWD OF THAT PLACE [John 14:1-6]

I have 2 brothers I have never met. I have a grandfather I haven’t talked to since the night before he died in June of 1976. Besides family and friends I look forward to meeting Paul, Moses, David, Peter, John, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and so many others. That’s my crowd. JESUS CHRIST!

III. I WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN BECAUSE OF THE CRIES OF THAT PLACE [2 Cor. 12:2-4]

There is so much we are not told but can you imagine singing “Amazing Grace” led by the sweet psalmist of Israel King David. I sometimes watch videos of reunited families. That cannot compare to when parents are reunited with children, families reunited, missionaries meeting again the people they led to the Lord, Christians reunited with the one who led them to Christ. The cheers when we see Jesus!

But my friends, most of all-

IV. I WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN BECAUSE OF THE CHRIST OF THAT PLACE [Phil. 1:21-23, John 14:6, 1:12]

Christ loved us poor lost sinners so much He went to Calvary, He paid our sin debt and rose again 3 days later. Wayne trusted Him at age 5, I trusted Him as a teenager- I am going to Heaven. I will see Wayne again. I will see Jesus. Will you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From his cousins in WV, thank you for posting this

 
mobile='yes'