Friday, January 25, 2013

Really? REALLY? really?

Over 20 years ago I was leaving my house in Chattanooga, Tn. to walk to work. I came across a running station wagon [remember those?] with several children inside. The mother was on a front porch of my neighbor's house chatting away. I couldn't stand it so I said, "Excuse me ma'am. Your car is running."

 She replied, "I know, I'm standing right here."

 Now "here" was up 5-6 steps to get to yard level, 30-40 feet more to get to the porch steps, 5-6 more steps to get up on the porch where she was. If someone had wanted to steal the car then all she could have done was watch them drive off from the porch! This kind of foolishness with the most prized heritage the good Lord gives us irked me no bounds.

 "Yes ma'am, I can see that. I'll just stand right here until you finish."

 She cut her conversation short, came back down to the car, clearly irritated, and gave me "the glare" [no explanation necessary- if you have been the recipient of one- you know].

 I walked on to work with nary a shred of guilt for having ruined her conversation.

Now what, pray tell, bought this on 20 plus years later that I would write about it? Her tribe has increased. This is not the first story I have seen or read of similar situations... merely the latest.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'