Friday, April 15, 2011

In-laws

 
Bill Rice Ranch - First Light Devotionals 

Ruth 1:16-17  "And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if aught but death part thee and me."

 

I have a great story about a mother-in-law!  (Usually, that statement does not precede something flattering!)  When you read the book of Ruth, you find a very sweet story about woman named Ruth and her mother-in-law Naomi.  Nothing seemed to be good in Naomi's life: no blessing from God, no food, and no husband.  What could possibly be sweet in all of this?

 

Enter her daughter-in-law, Ruth.  Ruth's husband (Naomi's son) died, and now Naomi releases Ruth to go back to her people and her home, just as she would do.  Ruth's promise in verses 16-17 is notable and well-known, often quoted in marriage ceremonies.  I think her promise is a wonderful sentiment for a bride to say to her new husband, but this promise goes further than just a wedding ceremony!

 

This promise is ironic.  While brides often quote this passage to their grooms, it was originally made to a mother-in-law!  Imagine a bride saying this to the groom's mother; that kills the romance, doesn't it?  Now imagine saying this to your in-laws: "Where you go, I will go; where you live, I will live; . . . ."

 

This promise is profound.  Why?  Nothing could be more true than saying to your in-laws, "Thy people shall be my people."  I think about my own home.  The Wil Rice home today is really a combination of my wife's family and background and my family and background.  Our home and our kids are a blend of two distinct families.  I am responsible to lead and guide my home; but if you ever visit, you'll see that our food-even our soap-is distinctly Birky!  My wife brought all of those things to our home when we were married.

 

This promise is instructive.  Though we may not actually repeat this promise to our in-laws, it would do us good to imagine saying it to them.  You are not doomed to your past or your spouse's past, but your in-laws can inform you of what to expect for years to come.  Furthermore, whether you like it or not, marriage spells "duty."  We have a God-given obligation to honor our parents; when you get married, you multiply that obligation!

 

When thinking about families and in-laws, I am thankful for God's grace.  Neither Ruth nor Boaz had a great heritage (Ruth was from Moab; Boaz descended from Rahab), but God clearly turned something bad into something beautiful.  The story of Ruth is ultimately a story of God's grace, but the story also has great instructions for us when it comes to marriage and our in-laws!

  
  
Prayer Requests:
2. Ranch evangelists preaching this weekend in Oregon, IL; Lisbon, ME; Chandlerville, IL; and Magna, UT

Looking for more devotionals? Visit the archives here
 
 
 
Bill Rice Ranch | 627 Bill Rice Ranch Road | Murfreesboro | TN | 37128

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'