Wednesday, April 13, 2011

ADVICE, HURT FEELINGS & WORMS

II SAMUEL 15

Pastor Rick Jackson

Once upon a time when this preacher was a little boy feeling sorry for himself about some matter his mother said to him, “Are you planning on eating worms?” When I asked her she told me someone once said, “Nobody loves me. Everybody hates me. Guess I’ll go eat worms.” I thought that was pretty funny. Now I don’t know about you but about the only way I’d eat worms is to keep them from eating me. But it does enter into this message.

I. Ahithophel, the Brother of Folly [II Samuel]

1. His Reputation was Great [15:12, 31-37; 16:23]

2. His Advice was Excellent [17:1-4]

3. His Pride was His Downfall [17:5-14, 23; Proverbs 16:18]

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

II. Paul, the Little Man with the Big God [Acts 27]

1. His Standing Was Not Prominent [v. 1-11]

2. His Advice Was Not Pleasant [v. 12a]

3. His Advice Was Not Popular [v. 12b-20]

III. The Invisible Made the Difference

1. Paul’s Purpose was Not Men’s Applause [v. 21, Galatians 1:10]

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

2. Paul’s Pleasure was to Please God [v. 22-25, 2 Timothy 2:4]

3. Paul’s Persistence was Godly [v. 26-27, Phil. 3:12ff] advice

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'