Sunday, April 10, 2011

CHRIST’S GIFTS

EPHESIANS 4:7-16

Pastor Rick Jackson

I. THE GIVING OF THE GIFTS [v. 7-10]

1. The Timing [v. 7-8, John 16:7]

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

2. The Basis [v. 8-9, Rm. 8:31-37, 1 Corinthians 15:57]

But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Psalm 68:18 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.
Judges 5:12 Awake, awake, Deborah: awake, awake, utter a song: arise, Barak, and lead thy captivity captive, thou son of Abinoam.
Isaiah 14:2 And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel shall possess them in the land of the LORD for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors. [cp. Heb. 2:9-15]

3. The Person [v. 10, Acts 1:11]

Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

II. THE MINISTERS OF THE GIFTS [v. 11]

1. The Foundational Ministers [2:20]

Apostles and prophets were necessary before the Scripture was complete. Indeed, some of them are the ones God used to give us the New Testament.
2 Peter 3:1-2 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
Note the qualifications for Apostles given in Acts 1:15-26- no one living can claim to have seen Jesus in the flesh. Even Paul considered himself, as of one born out of due time. [1 Corinthians 15:8] 1 Corinthians 9:1 Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?

2. Frontier Ministers - evangelists/missionaries

3. Furtherance Ministers - pastors/teachers

III. THE PURPOSE OF THE GIFTS [v. 11]

1. Edification of the Body [v. 12]

2. Maturity of the Members [v. 13-15]

3. Growth of the Church [v. 16]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'