Sunday, May 24, 2009

THE SONG OF HABAKKUK

HABAKKUK 3:1

Pastor Rick Jackson

Like the Psalms Habakkuk 3 is a song. Like many of the Psalms, it is also a prayer. Like many Bible prayers it asks man's questions and gives God's answers. In Habakkuk 1 the prophet asks God how God can punish His people, though rebellious, with a nation more wicked than they. In Habakkuk 2 God answers the distraught prophet. In Habakkuk 3 the prophet bursts out in song--- his situation has not changed but he has been changed. Oh that we might be changed by the Word of God today!

I. WHERE IS REVERENCE? [v. 2-17]

1. Not in Ignorance of God's Word [v. 2, Pr. 1:7, 9:10]

2. Not in Ignorance of God's Holiness [v. 3-17]

3. Not in Ignorance of God's Purpose [v. 6, 8, 13, 16]

II. WHERE IS REVIVAL? [v. 2]

Oft times we think we don't need revival. I suggest to you that when we think we do not need revival we need it most of all! In revival we:

1. Settle the Question of Ownership - "O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years"

2. Set Aside Sin from our Lives - "O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath"

Hebrews 12:1 ...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us...
Genesis 35:2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean...
Joshua 24:23 Now therefore put away, said he, the strange gods which are among you, and incline your heart unto the LORD God of Israel.
Judges 10:16 And they put away the strange gods from among them, and served the LORD:
1 Samuel 7:3 And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the LORD with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.

3. Seek the Blessing of God - "O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy."

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

America needs revival. Florida needs revival. Bradford County needs revival. Bradford Baptist Church needs revival. You and I need revival. Andrew Telford says,

"Revival will do three things for us. it will bring us into:
1. A life of unfailing confidence in God.
2. A life of unreserved commitment to God.
3. A life of unwavering dependence on God.
We need this..."

III. WHERE IS REJOICING? [v. 18-19]

1. In the Lord [v. 18]

Isaiah 41:16 ...thou shalt rejoice in the LORD, and shalt glory in the Holy One of Israel.
Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation...
Joel 2:23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God:
Zechariah 10:7 ...their heart shall rejoice in the LORD.
Philippians 3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord.

2. In the Lord's Strength [v. 19a]

Nehemiah 8:10 ... the joy of the LORD is your strength.

3. In the Lord's Direction [v. 19]

Psalm 25:5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
Psalm 25:9 The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
Psalm 119:35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight
Habakkuk 3:19 The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'