Saturday, May 02, 2009

PSALM 6 - When the Vultures Circle

1 To the chief Musician on Neginoth upon Sheminith, A Psalm of David. O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
2 Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.
3 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?
4 Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies sake.
5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.
7 Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.
8 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.
9 The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.
10 Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

David doesn't ask that the Lord NOT rebuke or chasten him - only that He not do it in anger or hot displeasure [v. 1]. Instead he asks for mercy, confesses his sinful frailty and even mentions that sin's natural effects already are making him miserable [v. 2-3]

David further seeks restoration with the Lord not because he deserves it but because God is merciful. Haven't we all been there? [v. 4]

Verse 5 is a problem for some in that they think it means there is no afterlife but this misses the point entirely. The psalmist is saying an earthbound ministry is over once death has entered the picture. Lord, let me live and I will praise you and give thanks before men and remember Thy mercies before others.

Verses 6-7 tell of his great repenting over his sin and its effects in his life. Then comes the turning point as his prayers are heard [v. 8], God restores the broken fellowship [v. 9 - the relationship was NOT broken - just the fellowship]. David is once more on praying ground [v. 9] and tells the "vultures" they may as well leave as their joy at seeing David going down was premature!

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'