Monday, April 27, 2009

PSALM 3

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

1 LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
3 But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
4 I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.
7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8 Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.

The old song says "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen..." David certainly had trouble. Granted many of them were self-inflicted through wrong decisions, wrong actions, wrong handling of situations... BUT--- how many of us can say we have never done the same? Show of hands? I thought not.

It got so bad for David even his own son was seeking to dethrone him and kill him. When his son rebelled many joined in on the rebellion. How many folks are just waiting for something bad to happen to us so they can jump on the bandwagon? People were even saying God had deserted David [v. 2] and David knew they were saying that!

JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE SAY SOMETHING DOESN'T MAKE IT SO! When I was at Flagler College back in the 1970s we read a book in history class written in the 1930s that said the Scopes trial of 1925 and its aftermath had killed Bible-believing Christianity. The professor asked the class if that statement was true? Most of them agreed that it was (after all it was written in a book). How he knew I'm not sure but the professor, a Bible-believing Christian himself, knowing he had a young Fundamentalist in the room said, "Mr. Jackson, do you agree with the author's assessment?"

"No sir!"

"Why not?"

"Sir, the largest church in Tennessee [where the Scopes trial took place] is the Highland Park Baptist Church in Chattanooga, Tn. with over 10,000 members. The largest church in Florida...Indiana...Virginia...Alaska... The Churches that thrive the most, large or small, are the ones that still teach and preach the Bible!" [Thank God for John R. Rice and The Sword of the Lord where I had gleaned that information over those formative years]

"That would be correct. History is sometimes seen best from a distance class."

We all learned something that day. I learned my professor knew me better than I thought. The class learned that historians are NOT always right, nor are they the unbiased lot they would have us believe and the professor learned he could call on that skinny [at the time] kid and get a somewhat intelligible response.

David continued to trust God no matter what the people said. [v. 4] Brother Lester Roloff used to sing, "...There's something mighty sweet about the Lord, It really doesn't matter, what the people say, there's something mighty sweet."

David continued to pray. He knew the Lord heard him and so do you know what he did? He slept soundly! [v. 5] Worry is such a time waster and sleep stealer. Someone has said, "I absolutely refuse to worry!" As long as the reason for that statement is trusting God I concur. Take your burden to the Lord and LEAVE it there. Don't take it back with you.

Who cares who or how many oppose you [v. 6] when God is taking up your cause [v. 7-8]? Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'