Friday, March 27, 2009

Life is Funny--- People... not so much

Recently a man who has been visiting the church I pastor told me "I've learned more in the 9 months since I've been coming here than the 20 years in the church I was in before." This reminded me of when a long time member who is a senior citizen confided in me some time ago that she had learned more since I had become her pastor than in all her other years combined. Now lest you think I am getting the big head read on...

I have also had people leave our church saying, "Your preaching doesn't feed us." Wow! So what's the difference? A lot has to do with the attitude of the people coming. When someone comes with preconceived ideas or notions it can cloud their thinking or reception of the truths being presented. I have had people gush over the truth an evangelist presented like they never heard it when I preached the same truth just weeks before and they ho-hummed it. Paul faced the same thing. [2 Corinthians 10:10 For his letters, say they, are weighty and powerful; but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.] His presentation made the truths hard to swallow to his listeners. Was it Paul's fault? No! If the truth is being preached brother the fault lies elsewhere. I'll let you figure that one out.

So should I get the big head when I hear the compliments? Should I shrink away and resign when I hear the criticisms? I think rather I should heed the Biblical advice of Dr. Lee Roberson, "Die to self! Die to compliments! Die to criticisms! Don't veer to the left, don't veer to the right! Go right down the line!"

1 comment:

Evangelist David Dunn said...

AMEN!
I must say that you put the situation on the bottom shelf where everyone can reach the cookies!
Once again sir, You stated the facts just as they are!

Thank You for your straight forward speech on this subject. We all need to be reminded NOT to believe everything we hear about ourselves... we do believe the wierdest things!

David Dunn

 
mobile='yes'