Sunday, December 24, 2006

I'M DREAMING OF A RIGHT CHRISTMAS

Every year at this time we hear of people opposing the celebration of Christmas. It's not always the heathen either! Sometimes it's by people who claim to be Christian. Sometimes they are worried you might offend a non-Christian. Here's what former Nixon speech-writer and TV and movie personality Ben Stein had to say about that, "I am a Jew and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish, and it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautifully lit-up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are — Christmas trees. It doesn't bother me a bit when people say 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they're slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we're all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me one bit that there's a manger scene on display at a key intersection at my beach house in Malibu. If people want a creche, fine. The menorah a few hundred yards away is fine, too. I do not like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat."

So by the same token you will hear of people, both Christian and non-Christian promoting the celebration of Christmas. Obviously I am all for celebrating Christmas and I have made no secret of it. I do know however there are some things Christians should NOT do in the midst of their celebrating. I also know some things that others frown on are legitimately okay for godly people to do. I know these things because the Bible teaches it directly or indirectly through principles and the application of them.

IT IS WRONG TO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS BY:

-LYING- Jesus said of Satan, "When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."

Ephesians 4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

-IMMORALITY- Mistletoe and beyond. "It is good for a man not to touch a woman." The Bible is clearly talking about outside of the legitimacy of the marriage bond there are places a couple should not go.

-DRINKING INTOXICATING BEVERAGES- spiked nog or straight drinking the Bible warns in Pr. 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

IT IS PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE TO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS:

BY EMPHASIZING CHRIST'S BIRTH- Is. 7:14, Micah 5:2, Mt. 1-2, Lk. 1-2- Angels, Shepherds, prophets, just men & women, a special star, God Himself emphasizes it!

BY DECORATING- II Chr. 3, Rev. 21:19

BY ATTENDING SERVICES- Heb. 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

BY SINGING CHRIST HONORING CHRISTMAS CAROLS-
Psalm 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Psalm 9:2 I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.
Psalm 9:11 Sing praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion: declare among the people his doings.
Psalm 18:49 Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name.
Psalm 30:12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.
Psalm 33:2 Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
Psalm 47:6 Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises.
Psalm 57:7 My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.

BY SPECIAL MEALS- Esther 9:15-19

BY GIVING GIFTS- Esther 9:20-24

BY SETTING ASIDE SPECIAL DAYS- Esther 9:25-32, Rm. 14:5-6

IN FACT, THE BIBLE SAYS:

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Colossians 3
14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'