Saturday, June 03, 2006

HERE I STAND

LUKE 6:45-49

Rick Jackson

Martin Luther was put on notice because of his writings against unscriptural practices in the Roman Catholic Church. He was expected to recant his writings. Luther's books were placed on a table. He was then asked if they were his works and whether he wanted to recant any of the information. Luther requested time to think over his reply and the next day he answered with the well-known speech:
"Unless I am convicted by scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I cannot do otherwise. God help me. Amen."

Think of that phrase, "...my conscience is captive to the Word of God... Here I stand." Though Baptists are not Protestants we can appreciate anybody taking a Biblical stand. It was brought to my attention recently that some think I preach the Gospel too much. Too much for who? Too much for the lost who need to hear it? Too much for the saved who need to memorize it and be able to share it with the lost? Too much for God who called me to preach the Gospel? Too much much for the Devil maybe. Paul said, "For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ." (Gal. 1)

I. STAND FOR THE GOSPEL (I COR. 15:1-8)

1. Stand for the vicarious death of Christ (I Co. 2:1-5)

2. Stand for the victorious resurrection of Christ (Acts 26:6, 8, 15, 22-23)

3. Stand for the vital grace of God (Gal. 5:1) (don't be a Christian Pharisee)

II. STAND FOR THE FAITH (I Co. 16:13, Jude 3)

1. Stand in grace, by grace, and for grace (Rom. 5:1-2, I Pt. 5:12)

2. Stand in faith, by faith, and for faith (Rm. 11:20, I Cor. 10:12, II Cor. 1:24)

3. Stand in the Word, by the Word, and for the Word (II Th. 2:13-15, II Tm. 2:15-19)

III. STAND FOR GOD (Ex. 32:26)

1. Stand in and for God's power (Eph. 6:10-18, Ph. 4:1)

2. Stand in and for God's purpose (Phil. 1:27, Col. 4:12)

3. Stand in and for God's plan (Rm. 14:10, I Th. 3:6-13)

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'