Sunday, July 18, 2021

BEWARE THE EVIL EYE

MARK 7:14-23

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I. IT’S ORIGIN [Dt. 28]

 

1. It Begins with Simple Disobedience [v. 1-2, 14-15,

 

2. It Continues with Sinful Dissatisfaction [v. 45-48]

 

3. It Culminates with Self-Deification [v. 49-58] self on the throne, self-preservation at all costs

 

II. IT’S MANIFESTATION

 

1. Selfishness [Dt. 15:9-15]

 

2. Short-sightedness [Proverbs 28:22]

 

He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.

 

3. Small-Mindedness [Mt. 20:1-15]

 

III. IT’S MISTAKES [Lk. 11:28-36]

 

1. Undervalues Living By Faith [v. 28-29]

 

2. Undervalues the Lord’s Person [v. 30-32]

 

3. Undervalues the Significance of being Single-minded [v. 33-36]

 

IV. IT’S MISSES [Matthew 6:33] Look what Jesus taught!

 

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

 

(examples of people who did NOT have an evil eye)

 

1. John the Baptist Did Not Have the Evil Eye [John 3:30]

 

He must increase, but I must decrease

 

2. Paul Did Not Have the Evil Eye [Philippians 3:13-15,  Galatians 2:20]

 

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

 

3. Mary Did Not Have the Evil Eye [Luke 10:38-42]

 

Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'