Saturday, July 10, 2021

John R. Rice Quotes of the Week

 I know it would be harmful for my six daughters to use tobacco. But if I used tobacco, then my example would teach them that there is no harm in it. So many girls and women do smoke these days that it is very likely some of mine would if they saw their daddy smoking. My wife now nurses our baby girl two months old. (Written November, 1937.) I know it would be harmful to the health of mother and child if my wife used tobacco. But if it is all right for me, it is all right for them. I am accountable for those about me. I believe it is a sin for a Christian to use his influence in a way that will cause others to sin. - John R. Rice [Tobacco, pg. 6]


There is nothing in the Bible that justifies a double standard of morals. What is good for a wife is good for her husband morally. If a woman should keep herself clean, then so should a man. If little children would be harmed by tobacco, then so would adults. I have heard preachers denounce women for smoking, but the same preachers thought there was no harm in men smoking [written in 1937]. A double standard is not of God but is a part of this present wicked world. - John R. Rice [Tobacco, pg. 6]


On the isle of Cyprus, I talked to a beautiful lady who worked for the tour company. I asked, "Are you a Christian?"

"Oh, yes," she said. She was a Greek Catholic, sprinkled when she was a baby, had already learned the catechism, been confirmed, etc.
I said, "I don't mean born a Christian. I mean born again a Christian. I don't mean you have been in the church from babyhood up. I mean have you been born again?"
Her eyes opened wide and she said, "That is something different, isn't it?"
I said, "It sure is."
I thank God she learned what it was and took Christ that day.
How many people are in the church but unsaved! How many people sing in choirs but are unsaved! How many people have been baptized but are unsaved!
There is no way but to come through Jesus Christ and rely on Him. ― John R. Rice [These Had Part When Jesus Died, pg. 8]


Once someone said to me, "Brother Rice, if I thought God would care for a dirty old reprobate like me, I would come in a moment." I quoted to him Isaiah 1:18, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord, though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."
He said, "If God will take me, I will come." And he did come to Jesus.
You, too, can come to Christ now. Oh, make sure of salvation! ― John R. Rice [These Had Part When Jesus Died, pg. 14]


Rebellion is an awful sin. The first commandment about duty to any of mankind is to "honour thy father and thy mother." And to honor thy father and thy mother means honor also the schoolteacher, the policeman on the corner, the government. Law and authority are of God and sedition is a terrible sin against God as well as against the government. America has come to a sad point when people feel they can get by with anything against the government, break any kind of law. ― John R. Rice [These Had Part When Jesus Died, pg. 16]


Put it down. The only people who get saved are bad people. The only people who get saved are those who admit they are sinners. ". . .for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." All of us are sinners and if you don't come to face that, you will not be saved. Jesus died to save sinners. So if you are going to get in that line, you must say, "Here I am." ― John R. Rice [These Had Part When Jesus Died, pg. 27]


The truth is, it is not education that makes a fool who says there is no God or does not believe the Bible. A wicked heart says that. If you get to where you know you are a sinner and about to go to Hell, then the kind of Saviour you want is Jesus, the blameless Son of God. ― John R. Rice [These Had Part When Jesus Died, pg. 28] 


Jesus could turn to His tormenters and say, "Which of you convinceth me of sin?" They shut their mouths. And you better shut your mouth, too, who criticize Jesus.
The thief said, "This man did nothing amiss." He accepted the sinless deity of Jesus. And you have to come that way or you don't get salvation. ― John R. Rice [These Had Part When Jesus Died, pg. 28]







No comments:

 
mobile='yes'