Sunday, February 07, 2021

UNMOVEABLE

ACTS 20:17-24

 

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

Paul says he expects trouble if he goes to Jerusalem, but he is going just the same. Many folks would quit if they knew they were facing a lot less than that, but Paul says, “None of these things move me.” Paul was not moved to quit by critics. Lee Roberson used to tell us, “Critics are a dime a dozen. Any fool can criticize.”

Paul was not moved to quit by hardships – not loneliness, sickness, infirmity, lack of support and certainly not persecution. You may think, “that’s great, but that’s Paul, I am not called to that… am I?” Glad you asked.

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

So, what made Paul steady? What made Paul unmoveable? Can we have it?

 

I. SALVATION MADE PAUL UNMOVEABLE! The greatest event in your life is when you are born again!

 

1. Salvation Will Change your Life! [2 Cor. 5:17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

It brought Saul of Tarsus joy, satisfaction & peace! Rm. 5: 1-5 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

 

2. Salvation Can Change Your Occupation! Paul went from tentmaker to missionary. What was his occupation previously became a way to pay expenses [Acts 18]. His major became his minor. Don’t believe it? You think he made missionary trips to sell tents?

 

3. Salvation should Change Your Attitude! [Galatians 1:23-24] But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed. And they glorified God in me. He went from being a harsh critic of Christians to being a loving servant of Jesus Christ, from a persecutor to a preacher, from a cynic to a saint!

 

Have you been born-again? Have you trusted Christ – the virgin-born, sinless, holy, crucified and risen Saviour? Salvation made Paul unmoveable - but that’s not all.

 

II. SUBMISSION TO THE WILL OF GOD MADE PAUL UNMOVEABLE! [Gal. 2:20] I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

 

1. A Holy Abandonment to the Plan of Christ! “I am crucified with Christ:” “I die daily”

 

2. A Holy Abandonment to the Person of Christ! “nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me”

 

3. A Holy Abandonment to the Personification of Christ! “and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

[Galatians 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you]

 

III. SUBSTITUTION OF THE MIND OF CHRIST MADE PAUL UNMOVEABLE! [Phil. 2:5] Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

 

1. A Concern for Others [v. 1-7]

 

If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded , having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

 

2. A Concern for the Lost [v. 8]

 

And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

 

3. A Concern for the Kingdom [v. 9-11]

 

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'