Sunday, January 24, 2021

THE DEVIL’S DECEITFUL DIRECTIONS

 

                                     HEBREWS 12:14-29                                          


Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I recall seeing a Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs led some hunting dogs away from a fox. One overweight dog kept saying, “Which way did he go? Which way did he go?” And of course Bugs always led him astray.

Now what happens today is people ask, “Which way do we go to get to Heaven?” or “Which way do we go to be successful?” and the Devil always leads them astray.

 

I. WHICH WAY DO WE GO TO GET TO HEAVEN?

 

1. The Only Way to Heaven is Holiness [v. 14]

 

Where Satan misleads people is how holiness can be attained

 

2. The Wrong Way is Away from Grace [v. 15-21]                -thinking works can produce holiness [v. 15]

-putting fleshly, temporary things over spiritual, eternal things     [v. 16-17]

-thinking the Law is a means of salvation [v. 18-21]

 

3. The Right Way is through Christ and Christ Alone [v. 22-27]

 

II. WHICH WAY DO WE GO TO BE A FAILURE AS A CHRISTIAN?

 

If Satan fails to keep a person from being saved his next goal is to have them be a failure as a Christian- and he uses all his wiles to accomplish this goal. He even uses Christians. [remember Simon Peter and the Lord- “Get thee behind me Satan…”]

 

1. The Way to Failure is the Way of Disinterest [1 Thessalonians 5:19-20]                Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings.

 

2. The Way to Failure is the Way of Distraction [2 Timothy 4:8-10]

 

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia.

 

3. The Way to Failure is the Way of Discouragement [2 Corinthians 2:6-7, Phil. 3:12-17]

 

Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.

Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

 

III. WHICH WAY DO WE GO TO BE A SUCCESS AS A CHRISTIAN?

 

1. The Way of the Cause [1 Samuel 17:29, Colossians 1:9, 1 Thessalonians 2:13]

 

And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause?

For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

 

2. The Way of the Cross [Luke 9:23]

 

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily , and follow me.

 

3. The Way of the Christ [the Gospel of John]

 

1:43 The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me.

10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me;

14:1 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way , the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

21:19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.

21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'