Monday, February 01, 2010

I DON’T LIKE YOUR FACE

ROMANS 12:1-5, 9-10, 13-21

Adapted by Pastor Rick Jackson

The year was 1985, I was a 29 year old teacher at Tennessee Temple High School. Our chapel speaker, Randy Ray, a Temple Baptist Theological Seminary alumnus, preached this message that day [or a close approximation].

“Drop dead” “You make me sick.” “I hate your guts” How many of you know someone who just doesn’t like you? How many of you know someone you just don’t like? God recognizes this will be the case. Look at verse 18 again. BUT- sometimes we don’t like someone for the wrong reason. Let me give you five wrong reasons for not liking someone.

I. YOU DON’T LIKE AUTHORITY [Proverbs 12:1]

Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.

Could be seen in the wrong reaction to a trooper giving out a ticket. Now you really don’t know that much about them. I remember a home Economics teacher we had at Tenn. Temple High- Judy, really nice lady but I heard a student say, “I don’t like her. She always gets on to me.” Hmmm, might be a reason for that. Some people don’t like their bosses for the same reason. Some people just don’t like authority. I found as a teacher and some people didn’t like child being reprimanded even when the child was clearly wrong.

II. YOU COMPARE THEM TO SOMEONE ELSE [2 Corinthians 10:12]

For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1 Corinthians 3:4-6 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

One boy didn’t like a preacher we had coming to speak at Camp Joy referring to him despairingly as “ol’ hell fire’n’damnation Sexton”. You mean like John the Baptist? Or Jesus? It is not fair to dislike someone just because they are not like someone else.

III. UNINTENTIONAL OFFENSE [1 Corinthians 13:4-7]

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

“Wow, you don’t sweat much for a fat guy!”
“Hey, your face is finally clearing up!”
Saul got angry at David when the girls changed their tune.

IV. BECAUSE OF APPEARANCE [Psalm 139:14]

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

If you don’t like them because of their looks you are kind of blaming God. This would include their skin color, social standing, etc. [whether to low or to high- you didn’t get that from God]
James 2:1-9

V. PERSONALITY CONFLICTS [Rm. 12:18]

What should you do?
1. If there’s a problem? [Mt. 18:15-17]
2. Never gossip. [James 1:26]
3. Have a proper attitude toward authority.
4. Admit when you are wrong and do something about it.
5. Be kind! [Eph. 4:32]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'