Sunday, May 28, 2023

WHERE IS THE LORD GOD OF ELIJAH?

2 KINGS 2:1-14                    


 Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I. WHAT GOD?

 

1. The Powerful God [v. 8, read up on Elijah- you’ll see…]

The God that can withhold/give rain, provide sustenance during famine, raise the dead, send fire, protect his servants…


2. The Personal God [v. 9-14, 1 Kings 18:36]

And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.


3. The Promise Keeping God [v. 10, 14; 1 Kings 18:31]

And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the Lord came, saying, Israel shall be thy name:

 

II. WHERE IS THE LORD GOD OF ELIJAH?

 

1.  God is Seated on His Throne [v. 14]

-Psalm 45:6 Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre.

-Psalm 47:8 God reigneth over the heathen: God sitteth upon the throne of his holiness.


2. God is Seeking  His Own [2 Chronicles 16:9]

-For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.


3.  God is Saving Sinners [Isaiah 59:1, Luke 19:10]

-Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:

-For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

 

III. HOW DO I FIND THE LORD GOD OF ELIJAH?

 

1. A Godly Desire [v. 1-6, Phil. 3:7-8]

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

 

2. A Deep Devotion [v. 7-10, Phil. 3:8-10]

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

 

3. A Passionate Dedication [v. 11-14, Phil. 3:11-21]

If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'