Sunday, June 03, 2018

GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

Proverbs 26:17-19 He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears. As a mad man who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death, So is the man that deceiveth his neighbour, and saith, Am not I in sport?



Pastor Rick Jackson



I. PEOPLE HAVE A TENDENCY TO PLAY GAMES



1. People are Religious [Acts 17:22-23]



Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.



2. People Worship Things [Lk. 9:25]



For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?



3. People Worship Power [Jn. 11:48, 3 Jn. 9-10]



If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.

I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.



II. PEOPLE PLAY GAMES WITH SEVERE HANDICAPS



1. The Brashness of Adolescence [Eccl. 12:1]



Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;



2. The Busyness of Adulthood [Lk. 12:16-21]



And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.



3. The Blindness of Age [Mt. 18:3]



And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.



III. PEOPLE NEED TO REMEMBER TO PLAY BY THE RULES



1. God Sets the Rules [Romans 9:20]



Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?



2. The Rules Abide [1 Peter 1:23]



Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.



3. The Rules Rule [2 Timothy 2:5]



And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'