Sunday, May 06, 2018

SEEING OR OBSERVING?

Matthew 16:1-4



Pastor Rick Jackson



Dr. Watson once asked Sherlock Holmes why he didn't get as much from seeing something as Holmes did when his eyes were every bit as good. Holmes replied, "You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear. For example, you have frequently seen the steps which lead up from the hall to this room?"

"Frequently."

"How often?"

"Well, some hundreds of times."

"Then how many are there?"

"How many? I don't know."

"Quite so! You have not observed. And yet you have seen. That is just my point. Now, I know that there are seventeen steps, because I have both seen and observed."

What rings true in fiction is what is true in fact. In life many see while others observe. A trained musician gets more out of reading musical notes than I do.



I. TO OBSERVE CHRIST IS TO SEE HIS PERSON [JOHN 6:1-14]



1. Some see the Occurrences [v. 1-2] (in this case- miracles)



2. The Lord sees Opportunities [v. 3-13]



3. Some see the Obvious [v. 14, Deuteronomy 18:15-19, Acts 3:18-26]



The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken; According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not. And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken. I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.



But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.



II. TO OBSERVE CHRIST IS TO SEE HIS POWER [JOHN 6:15-25]



1. The Lord Sees Us Clearly [v. 15]



2. We Need to See the Lord Even in the Storm [v. 16-21] (maybe even “especially in the storm”)



we are unwilling to go into the storms of life, but the storm is often how we see the Lord is greater than our situation!



3. Some “See” His power but don't Observe it for what it is. [v. 22-25]



III. TO OBSERVE CHRIST IS TO SEE HIS PURPOSE [JOHN 6:26-40]



1. Some fail to see the Serious Importance of the Eternal over the Temporal [v. 26-27]



2. Some fail to see the Simplicity of the Gospel [v. 28-30]



3. Some fail to see the Sufficiency of Christ and His work [v. 31-41ff.]



Are you seeing or observing?

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'