Saturday, November 29, 2014

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: How was David a man after God's own heart?

by the late Sumner Wemp

"David, a man after mine own heart" Acts 13:22.
 
Someone asked me, "How could God say that about David, the one who committed adultery and then murder". My answer is, "Because of David's confession and attitude in Psalms 51"
      
It is not just what you do but what you do with what you do that shows your true character.
 
"For ALL have sinned" Rom 3:23. We all know that but all do not admit it. Today, most Christians even play the blame game down to saying, the devil made me. Notice what all David said about his sin.
 
-He called them "My transgressions." and he asked for mercy.vs1
.
-He confessed his sin and asked "Wash me throughly from my iniquity and sin."  v. 2

-He said, "I admit my sin and my sin is ever before me" v. 3. No alibis, no dodging the issue. He is wide open with God. God wants that and likes that in all of us.

-"Against thee and thee only have I sinned" v. 4

-"Thou desirest truth in the inward parts" v. 6

-"Purge me and I shall be whiter than snow. v. 7. He wants real forgiveness and cleansing. We must be conscious of the gravity of our sin.
 
- "Hide thy face from my sins" v. 9. He was ashamed. That I believe is vital. "Were they ashamed, no they were not ashamed, neither could they blush [Jer. 6:15]  David was  ashamed,  we are not! Are you ashamed that you do not "give the gospel to every person" and give them a chance to go to heaven like someone gave you or even just a very few?
   
-"Renew a right spirit in me" v. 10.  "attitude determines latitude" - how far and how much God can do with us when we have sinned is determined by our attitude.
 
-"Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation" v. 12 The joy of the Lord is your strength and multitudes do not have the real joy of the Lord abounding in them. He cannot use them.
      
-"Then will I teach transgressors they ways and sinners shall be converted unto thee" v.14. When only 2 % of believers witness and actually lead souls to Christ, you wonder where in the world is the joy of the Lord that makes you witness - share the gospel. The final command, and it is a COMMAND, of Jesus to every believer, not a suggestion for a few, is "preach, GIVE the gospel to EVERY person." The person at your door, the waiter, waitress, the clerk, etc. Do YOU do it?

There are 50 million born again Christians in America. If each one led just ONE person to Christ this year, at the end we would have 100 million born again Christians. Next year, each one leads just ONE more to Christ we would then ave 200,000 million born again Christians. THAT would change our nation dramatically.
 
"Thou desirest not sacrifice" v. 16. He does not want religious deeds, Multitudes try to  appease God with more religious works rather than being wide open with God and confessing sins and obeying God's final command. "Preach the gospel to EVERY person. "To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, it is sin".

This may be the most important verse and admission of David. "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit and a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou will not despise, reject. v. 17. Dear friend when have you had a broken heart and wept over your sin. That to me, is the most important part of restoration and forgiveness. It is desperately missing in our lives and churches today. We carry that big smile when there is not real joy of the Lord bursting out from us.

This is why God said, "David is a man after my own heart."  Are you one God can say that about?  When have you wept over your sin and confessed it like David did.
 





Give a "Ticket to Heaven" to every person.

Order online or call 1-877-872-2871 to order my tract "Your Ticket to Heaven."


Mark 16:15. "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'