Wednesday, March 02, 2011

WAITING…

I THESSALONIANS 1:5-10

Pastor Rick Jackson

Waiting for… my ship to come in [one fellow said, “My ship finally came in. unfortunately I was at the airport.”]. Waiting for a mate? Waiting for a certain age? Waiting for … what? Every Christian should be waiting on the return of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I. THE PROMINENCE OF THE SECOND COMING [1 Peter 1:11]

Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

1. In the Old Testament [Ps. 22, 24, Is. 2, 9, 11, 53, Micah 5:2] Twice as much as the 1st coming.

2. In the Teachings of Christ [Jn. 14, Matthew 24:44]

Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

3. In the New Testament [I & II Thess., more as we shall see]

II. THE POWER OF THE SECOND COMING

1. It Emphasizes Security [Jn. 14:1-6]

2. It Encourages Separation [I Jn. 3:2-3]

3. It Energizes Soul-winning [I Thess. 5:1-10]

III. THE PURPOSE OF THE SECOND COMING

1. To Bring us into His Presence [I Th. 4:16-18]

2. To Conform us to His Person [Phil. 3:20-21, Psalm 17:15]

As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

3. To Fulfill the Promises of God [II Pet. 3:1-9ff, 2 Corinthians 1:20]

For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'