Sunday, January 06, 2008

ABRAHAM, ISAAC & JESUS

GENESIS 22

Pastor Rick Jackson

I. THE TESTING OF ABRAHAM [v. 1-24]

1. The test from God [v. 1, James 1:13]

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

He got a "C" on the family test, "F" on the famine test, "A" on the fellowship, fighting, and fortune tests. He got an "F" on the fatherhood test but retook it and got an "A" on that and the farewell test. Now he faces the final test.

2. The response of faith [v. 2-14]

Warren Wiersbe said, "It has been pointed out that Abraham believed God and obeyed Him when he did not know where (Heb. 11:80, when he did not know when (11:9-10, 13-16), when he did not know how (11:11-12), and when he did not know why (11:17-19)." The reason he could do that is even though Abraham did not know where, when, how, and why-- he did know Who!

3. The reward of faith [v. 15-24]

II. THE TRUSTING OF ISAAC [v. 3-9]

1. Isaac was a strong man [v. 3-6]

2. Isaac was a smart man [v. 7]

3. Isaac was a submissive man [v. 8-9]

III. THE TYPE OF CHRIST [v. 1-18]

1. God knew Abraham was like Him [v. 1, 18:19]

2. God asked Abraham to "offer" His only Son of Promise [v. 2]

3. God directed them to the exact place [v. 2-4]

4. Abraham believed God would raise Isaac [v. 4-5, Heb. 11:17-19]

5. Isaac was 33 at the time [v. 5, 23:1]

6. Isaac bore the wood, the judgment, and the death sentence [v. 6]

7. The Lamb of God foretold [v. 7-8]

8. The love of the Father & the Son exemplified [v. 6, 8, ]

Mt. 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

John 14:31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

9. The picture of Calvary [v. 9-10]

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John 10:17-18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

10. The perfect Substitute [v. 11-18]

Gal. 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Jn. 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'